27 replies [Last post]
2009 4th Season Northwest Colorado Hunt

Great post!! Thanks for the story and photos.

onzaman's picture

Cool congrats on the hunt. Thanks for pictures and story.

Great area...great area!

Great story, indeed!

I was nearby the morning of the 11th... up in the timber between mts welba and sandpoint. First hunt in the area -- loved it! Will have to get my memories down and posted. Kinda had a combo of dumb, bad and good luck!

HeavyC's picture
Re: Great area...great area!

Thanks, it was a great hunt for me!

jcbrown99 wrote:
Great story, indeed!

I was nearby the morning of the 11th... up in the timber between mts welba and sandpoint. First hunt in the area -- loved it! Will have to get my memories down and posted. Kinda had a combo of dumb, bad and good luck!

You weren't one of the brothers I shared info about the herd were you? One was Brett, but did not catch the others name. Those first two days they said they were by Sand Point, but had seen nothing. On the evening of the 12th I let them know about the herd I was watching all alone for 5 days & had taken a cow, but that was the night I high tailed it outta there and never talked to anyone around again!

See any elk up there? When I hiked that Sunday morn of the 8th up to the saddle between Welba & Oliphant all I saw were old tracks and all leading down hill.

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

Awesome write up man. Sounds like your scouting paid off. She looks like a big tasty cow. Congrats!

Between Sandpoint Welba

HeavyC -

To answer your questions, no I was not one of the brothers you talked to -- but I think I ran in to them late on the 11th.

I was up there the 9th and 10th scouting and saw the same old sign in the old snow. Figured any elk would largely be a matter of dumb luck!

On the 11th, I walked in the trail between Welba and Sandpoint about a 1/2 mile well before dawn and parked my butt next to a slash pile. About 7:15 am two cows came down travelling NW to SE headed for the creek bottom. I got one shot off at the lead cow at about 85 yards. Five seconds later a nice 5x5 stepped out following the cows and stood broadside. As I only had a single either-sex tag, all I could do was admire him through the crosshairs.

The cow I shot dropped into the creek bottom and then turned uphill. The bullet hit her just forward of center on the left shoulder and did some damage to her left lung but she was able to run up in to the steep, nasty timber on the eastern slope of Sandpoint. I figure I tracked her close to 3/4 mile but a tough 3/4 mile indeed. I have never followed such a heavy, frothy blood trail so far!!! The good news is she finally fell directly uphill from an open F.S. road. It was only about 300 yards downhill to the road.

This was my first elk, and only my third serious attempt, so I am certainly not going to complain about not getting the bull that stepped out. The bull would have been nice but then I probably would have wanted it mounted -- figure the cow saved me some considerable $$.

Only talked to three other hunters on the 11th. None had seen anything so I was grateful for my dumb luck.

Till next year!

HeavyC's picture

That is pretty cool! Your first is always something to remember! Congrats! Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like