14 replies [Last post]
2008 new hunting year

bout to get my classes done for my hunter safety course done soon. in the mean time, is there any tips and tricks that i can be doing to get ready for the elk, deer, and bear seasons?

2008 new hunting year

I don't know about any tricks but this is a good time to check you gear, study maps and plan an approach if there's new territories.

2008 new hunting year

I like to scout all winter. I know that many of the animals on the eastside are on winter range and aren't really in the areas you hunt in the fall, but west of the Cascades I can find Blacktails in the same areas year round.

With all the leaves off, you find way more buck and bull rubs from the fall rut. I also monitor trails with a trailcam for fun, and hike around looking for shed antlers.

Good luck!

2008 new hunting year

shoot.....alot

2008 new hunting year

Mauser you are in a good area to learn, you are close to game to go watch! Try up around Tampico,Athanum, get into the woods and just sit and watch. What are the deer or elk doing, how are the reacting to stuff going on around them, Up around Naches is another good spot(Not just at the feeding station) do the same thing all year, They do different things at times of the year. But watching wildlife and learning what the do is the best way to become a good hunter. Time in the woods is the best teacher!! Yes
Murph

2008 new hunting year

scout.. shoot.. shoot.. scout... shoot and scout some more. Keep shooting, even if it's only a bb gun or .22. But definatly know the gun your going to hunt with is dead on for you. So many hunters don't shoot during the off season and only, maybe, before the opener. Keep that hand-eye cordination up. If you hunt blacktail at all, you need to be quick and decisive. You might only get that one shot off. And believe me, it ruins a day when your not prepared!! Know the area your in, scout it!

2008 new hunting year

ok.... I'm sure you gonna hunt the mulies in yakima..

2008 new hunting year

The Yakima area south of hwy.410 to the columbia is blacktail country with a few mulies. Ive hunted that area for deer and elk for 30yrs. and have only see a couple of mulies.but the blacktail are not as flighty as their westside buddies!

2008 new hunting year

so just keep on shooting, go through the gear that i want to take with me durring the day, prob some hiking to get into shape, scout the area i want to hunt, and what about talking to gamewardens on which places were hot last year and the year before think that would work??

Check the WDFWL

Check the washington department of fish and wildlife and you can see which GMU's had the highest success rate for the last couple of years.

2008 new hunting year
Mauser3006 wrote:
so just keep on shooting, go through the gear that i want to take with me durring the day, prob some hiking to get into shape, scout the area i want to hunt, and what about talking to gamewardens on which places were hot last year and the year before think that would work??

You got the idea, but start getting in shape now,and keep it up,Know its a hard thing to stay in shape, I didn't and pay for it now! Busted up body and can't hunt like I want to. Had a heart attack the nite I got home from elk hunting. They hurt so take care off you're self now it will payoff latter! Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like