3 replies [Last post]
frontier's picture
2008 Lanai Mouflon Hunt

I just got back from my Mouflon hunt on Lanai this past weekend. We had a very good time even though it was a Ewe only hunt this year. Many of the hunters are not showing up and the weekend that we went was the last weekend to hunt for Mouflon sheep this year. There were only 28 hunters from off island that showed up for the hunt. 87 hunters didn't show up to hunt. we had 4 people in our group and 3 out of the 4 shot Ewes. this was the first time that I have hunted Lanai and not ran into other hunters while hunting. It was nice but the sheep were not moving around so you had to go and find them instead of waiting at the crossings like 1 of the hunters in our group does. Needless to say he didn't get anything this time due to the lack of pressure by other hunters. We just made a batch of Lau Laus with the meat from the sheep and it came out awesome.

Frontier

PreviewAttachmentSize
hunting 005.JPG
hunting 005.JPG775.19 KB
2008 Lanai Mouflon Hunt

Is this for those sheep in Hawaii? Show us some pics if you can ... the terrain, animals, etc. Sounds fascinating. Do they give out any ram tags?

frontier's picture
2008 Lanai Mouflon Hunt

Lanai has a drawing or lottery each year for Mouflon and another lottery for Axis Deer. The Axis Deer lottery is the hardest to draw a tag from. I don't even apply for it anymore. The Mouflon tags are much easier to get and I apply for them every year. The D.L.N.R. determines if we can take Rams or if we are only allowed to take Ewes. The hunt for the 2007 season was a 2 day hunt and we could take Rams. Many nice Rams came out that year and the largest I heard of had a 33" curl. I know of atleast 4 that were over 30" that came out. Most of the hunters shot Rams and thats the reason this year was a Ewe only season. The ratio of ewes to Rams was way out of proportion. Hopefully the 2009 Mouflon season will be an "either sex" hunt. The terrain consists of Gulches and fairly thick brush. I don't have any pictures of the terrain or the animals that I can post for you to see. If you would like to see a hunt for mouflon on Lanai, check out myoutdoortv.com and look under the show "the outdoor guide". There is a sheep hunt that they filmed on Lanai on the "pay hunt" side. If you would like to go on a pay hunt for either Axis Deer or Mouflon Sheep look up "Palawai Outfitters" on the Web. They run the "private hunts" on Lanai. I am not sure how Anyone outside of Maui County can get tags for the public hunt.

Frontier

2008 Lanai Mouflon Hunt

That sounds so interesting. I think I saw some pics of the sheep in Nat Geog, or somewhere. I'll check out the sites you mention. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
2008 Lanai Mouflon Huntfrontier511/06/2008 19:44 pm
ram huntspsychowolverine001/13/2006 08:56 am
Drawn for Lanai Axis DeerRanger91298407/30/2012 21:12 pm
Mouflan and Axis hunting on Lanaimonteman11307/30/2009 20:22 pm
Colorado Archery Elk Hunt!huntquest006/03/2008 22:10 pm