5 replies [Last post]
frontier's picture
2008 Lanai Mouflon Hunt

This year the Mouflon hunt on Lanai is limited to Ewe's only and the limit is one Ewe per hunter, per season.

I have heard that the numbers of rams has dropped and that the ratio of ewes to rams is way off, thus the ewe only hunting season. Many of the hunters that I have talked to are not going to go this year because you can't shoot rams. I feel that it is important to try and keep the ratio as close to normal as possible. If it takes shooting only ewes for one season,so be it. If the number of hunters drop because of the fact that you can't shoot rams, we may have the same situation next year. I have hunted Lanai for Mouflon for 10+ years and have only shot 2 rams one was 27" and the other was a mumu horn ram. ( this is a sheep whose horns curl into a tight ball) If I don't run into anything larger than I curently have I will shoot a ewe or a mumu ram. In past years the D.L.N.R. has offered another ewe tag if you shoot a mumu horn ram because they want these individuals out of the population so eventually all of the rams will have normal horns. Hunting here in hawaii is very limited and I feel we should work with the D.L.N.R. to try and preserve and even improve what we have. This year they NEED us to help with dropping the number of ewes. they are doing thier part. Now as local hunters lets do ours.

Frontier

frontier's picture
2008 Lanai Mouflon Hunt

I just got back from my hunt on Lanai for mouflon yesterday. We saw a lot of deformed Rams and a few good sized Ewes. over the course of the day we saw about 25 - 30 Mouflon total. There were 3 very nice Rams with 3/4 or better curls on their horns. We had 4 people in our group and we got 2 ewes. The sheep were very jumpy and would take off running at the sight of anything suspicious. This was the last weekend to hunt Mouflon and the totals were posted on the check station wall and were as follows:

Hunters selected: 1380

Hunters: 611

No shows: 769

Hunters sucess rate: 32%

Note: these are the totals including the archery and muzzle loader weekends.

2008 Lanai Mouflon Hunt

With the cost of travel now alot of the hunters I have spoken to didnt want to pay the $400 plus dollar air fare and extra for lodging just to shoot one ewe cheaper to buy a farm raised sheep to eat. At least thats what Ive been told.

frontier's picture
2008 Lanai Mouflon Hunt

Well if you look at it that way, I guess you're right! I look at it as a vacation from work and the hunting part is a bonus for me. If you catch the ferry from Maalaea or Lahaina harbor it only costs about $70 round trip per person. We always take our own food to cook on the grill and our lodging only costs $30 a night per person. The most expensive thing is the transportation and gas!

Frontier

2008 Lanai Mouflon Hunt

Prices from Kauai to Lanai are not hunter friendly . I wish there were more options to bring travel cost down, love to hunt regardless of species or gender of game. Brick Wall,) [/img]

frontier's picture
2008 Lanai Mouflon Hunt

Now I know why you mentioned that the trip would cost $400 only for the plane tickets. We have it pretty good here on Maui with the expeditions ferrys. It is very reasonable and convenient.

Axis

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
2008 Lanai Mouflon Huntfrontier310/27/2008 20:40 pm
ram huntspsychowolverine001/13/2006 08:56 am
Drawn for Lanai Axis DeerRanger91298407/30/2012 21:12 pm
Mouflan and Axis hunting on Lanaimonteman11307/30/2009 20:22 pm
Colorado Archery Elk Hunt!huntquest006/03/2008 22:10 pm