27 replies [Last post]
2007 Moose Hunt

TAKU JUST WONDERING WHAT CALIBER OF RIFLE YOU PERFER USING UP YOUR WAY....GREAT PICS Thumbs up

2007 Moose Hunt

I have a variety of guns with me on these trips. We canoe rivers and small lakes along the base of that slope. Sometimes the shots are pretty close and I use an old sporterized .303 of my Dads for those shots....and have used a 30.30 quite effectively for those "canoe by river shots". Overall, I would have to say, that I favour my 30.06 with either 165 or 180 gr. bullets. I just started reloading this year with my sons and we loaded up 180 Nosler Partition bullets. My son shot his moose with his .270 with 160 Nosler Partitions that he loaded.

Some of our shots are close (80-100 yards) while other shots are much longer up to 300 yards. For those shots, the 30.06 with 180 gr. bullets does the job very well. I have never needed to shoot much past 300 yards and would most likely simply call the bull closer if need be. Different circumstances necessitate different guns....and part of that is no scope on the .303 or 30.30 and that makes for quicker and easier close up "river shot"

I most likely have not answered your question...sorry...but I hope this helps in some way.

cheers

Taku

2007 Moose Hunt
Taku wrote:
The two older boys shot their first "big game" and therefore, according to tradition (within our family at any rate), most if not all of that will be given away to other families who need meat. I shot one of those bulls and that will be our winter meat. The other two moose are my wifes Mom and partner's moose - one of which will be given away as well. There are a number of elders in the communities who are way too old to hunt but are looked after in such a fashion.

It was tons of work...exhausting at times...but really great at the same time. This year three of the older kids were able to skin the moose, get the front quarters off, almost get the hind quarters off, and were able to pack most of the pieces around for hanging etc.. It's an incredible thing to see, over the years that we've hunted as a family, how much they've learned by watching and now finally getting right in there. Pretty soon my wife and I will just sip tea from the thermos and watch the young ones go at it.

This weekend will be a huge "cutting fest" as many friends etc. will come over and help cut up the moose, take lots of it home with them, roast some of those ribs over the open fire in the yard and generally have a great time.

For us the hunt is, to a large degree, about sharing what we were fortunate enough to harvest. We also will "trade" some moose for some Halibut!! Everybody is looked after in that sense - and it's good, I find.

cheers folks

Taku

...Awesome pic's taku ,awesome harvest , but be carefull some in here say hunting is not a tradition ! Laugh Laugh and no one hunts for food anymore Laugh Laugh .But your the type of man I was talking about a hunter through and through good job you have a great family !! Thumbs up

2007 Moose Hunt

Season opens in the morning. Thumbs up

2007 Moose Hunt

Nothing Today, Raining like crazy lots of sign just nothing fresh then about 8pm tonight I picked up on some really fresh ones and some 1 old scat maybe even less and as usuall I ran out of light. Well tommorrows another day. Ill give er a go again at 5am, G-night.

2007 Moose Hunt

Best of luck, Atomikall....

Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy !

2007 Moose Hunt

Thanks Tak. Nothing again, lots of deer though 7 in all and a really nice 6 point.
He's mine now that I know they are there. One small buck, One big boy, 2 fawns and a couple does Real nice Does too Id say each deer besides the fawns were good 180s the big Doe easy 200 to 220 and the and the big Buck about 2 too.
Was it ever a big Doe though frigen huge. As usuall I left the camera in the truck everytime.
I bring it I see nothin, then when I dont I could have had the best darn pictures around. I got about 5 feet away from the Big doe walking super slow through the taghalters she just kept eating.

About five years ago there was no deer here, now this year its crazy. Im going to deer hunt in my WMU. I usually have too drive for 5 hours and spend 500 dollars now I'll stay home and get one score for sure. Its amazing how they adapt to this part of Ontario.

I also was wondering if anyone new whats kinds of grass is still green here because it seems they are eating some sort of wild grass that is still lush and green its like clumps here and there. Lots of clover in this place too, that is still green. They have a trail right too it and back up the mountain, Packed like a human walking trail.

We walked in around 5am this morning and on the way in we scared up the first four you could just see them through my glassers then they ran over the hill and all you could see were shadows and white tails going a hundred miles an hour. We sat for about a half hour calling and they deer came to the moose call, I guess they were curious. The wind was in our favour because they seemed like they couldnt smell a thing, they walked in from 450yrds straight at us. Then they slowly walked through stoping here and there to take a bite walking within 5 feet of us on our stands a ground hieght. WHAT A SIGHT the first four were a 4 point, 2 fawns and the big lady (of course she was leading fawns were following and the little but smart buck was atleast 50 to 100yrds behind her. Then about 30 mins later there he came right to the call an amazing field grown 6 point, What a absolutly beautiful 6 point nice wide rack and perfect 6 points. Right behind him a nice Doe. Amazing morning and I didnt even see a moose or fresh sign. Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
MN moose tagRyanP005/22/2007 12:06 pm
Moosebackpacker002/01/2008 18:09 pm
2007 Alaskan moose drop/float huntsAdventures005/01/2006 14:05 pm
Book your 2007 hunt in Mainehuntmaine001/23/2007 04:22 am
2007 Stone Sheep Openingtxbritman003/21/2007 08:33 am