27 replies [Last post]
2007 Moose Hunt

Got home last night--great HUNT-only one moose and I never pulled the trigger-new hunter got a nice 47" bull-it died about 10 feet from lake-- easy pack out-just finished getting all meat cut & wrapped--best part of hunt is that it's like being or going home again--10 days in the North keeps a man young- also ran into 4 old acquaintences from Ontario and shared a glass of homemade wine on the dock--at camp-Just sitting on stand talking with the moose and riding rivers was worth 3 times the cost- only bad thing was lake and rivers were about 3' higher than usual and hence moose went to high ground and we had big problem finding even one--

2007 Moose Hunt

Congrats Widux sounds like a great hunt. I ran into a Id say around a year old bull maybe two last night while I was bird hunting tryed to get a good pic but he wasnt standing around waiting. I couldnt even get the camera out of the bag and he was going through the thick stuff and gone.

2007 Moose Hunt

Glad to hear the hunt went well Widux !!

Sounds like quite the adventure...and some relaxing times chatting/sipping wine as well!

Congratulations on the harvest too....nice to have one close to shore.

Any pics to share?

Taku

2007 Moose Hunt

Thanks guys-
I don't take many pics--other guys will send theirs to me and i'll post when tey arrive.

2007 Moose Hunt

Post em when you get em Widux, We'll be here. Thumbs up

2007 Moose Hunt

some pics of this years hunt with the family....

do you think there are moose on that slope...you bet there are...just call em down!

Three cows (three sisters we call 'em) right by camp....good sign!

Me and my little man after he had a nap by the fire while we "took care" of a harvested moose

and yes, there were moose on that slope...we were very lucky indeed. Both my two sons harvested their fist moose. Very proud Dad for sure.

Anyway...there are a few pics..hope you like them

2007 Moose Hunt

WOW--
Taku, You and your family are sure going to eat well this winter!! What a great group of pics--Nothing better than hunting with family and having youngins shoot their first moose. How did you get all that meat out of bush? Folks may not realize the wrok involved. our one moose surprised all the new hunters with me -first as to actual size and second to all the wrok getting meat out.

2007 Moose Hunt

The two older boys shot their first "big game" and therefore, according to tradition (within our family at any rate), most if not all of that will be given away to other families who need meat. I shot one of those bulls and that will be our winter meat. The other two moose are my wifes Mom and partner's moose - one of which will be given away as well. There are a number of elders in the communities who are way too old to hunt but are looked after in such a fashion.

It was tons of work...exhausting at times...but really great at the same time. This year three of the older kids were able to skin the moose, get the front quarters off, almost get the hind quarters off, and were able to pack most of the pieces around for hanging etc.. It's an incredible thing to see, over the years that we've hunted as a family, how much they've learned by watching and now finally getting right in there. Pretty soon my wife and I will just sip tea from the thermos and watch the young ones go at it.

This weekend will be a huge "cutting fest" as many friends etc. will come over and help cut up the moose, take lots of it home with them, roast some of those ribs over the open fire in the yard and generally have a great time.

For us the hunt is, to a large degree, about sharing what we were fortunate enough to harvest. We also will "trade" some moose for some Halibut!! Everybody is looked after in that sense - and it's good, I find.

cheers folks

Taku

2007 Moose Hunt

AMAZING PICS AGAIN TAK.

Sounds like an awesome year for you and the pics say it all. Congrats man!! Thumbs up

2007 Moose Hunt

I understand Taku--Much the same in Alaskan Villages--In fairbanks i hunted for us and my neighbors who were in their eighties--everything we killed was shared- fish- birds- moose etc. It gives one a very good feeling to be able to share and hopefully some day some one will do same for me and my wife--
It was almost the same in our group even with one beast--Only one of the guys had ever killed a moose( with me 5 yrs ago) and he was a help while others had to be shown every cut etc--one messed up a tenderloin and was told so--BUT each worked and grunted and learned-- and that's part of it- no guides to do the work.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
MN moose tagRyanP005/22/2007 12:06 pm
Moosebackpacker002/01/2008 18:09 pm
2007 Alaskan moose drop/float huntsAdventures005/01/2006 14:05 pm
Book your 2007 hunt in Mainehuntmaine001/23/2007 04:22 am
2007 Stone Sheep Openingtxbritman003/21/2007 08:33 am