84 replies [Last post]
2007 bear hunt

The bear I killed on sat was in portage Maine I had sat baits for five days and the bears were just not coming to the baits in daylight. of the four bait hunters one taged out on day five one went home and one opted to hunt with the hound hunters who by the way were at 100% sucess. So on day six my last day to hunt the outfitter asked if I cared to chase the hounds as I was the only one left in camp I think he felt bad for me but as I bowhunt I didn't know how that was going to work. but I figured if it doesn't work out I could always sit at a bait that night. So off I went First bear actually trees instead of baying good luck for a bowhunter yes better luck for the bear to small. So on we go dogs get on another bear and he leads a great chase and finally trees at noon lucky me two bears and they both go to tree. Bad luck for this bear he is 300-350lbs But of course he is in the biggest tree I have seen since I got to Maine and 42 feet off the ground at two yards from the base of the tree I send a arrow strait up through the branches and center punch his heart he took 2 steps back like he was going to come out of the tree thought better of it steped back foward and it was like somebody dumped a bucket of blood from the tree and he was dead. Whole deal from release of the arrow to death of the bear maybe 10 seconds guide was amazed said that a rifle would not have killed the bear any faster. But the story get better it is 12:30 and we spent the next six hours try to get the bear out of the tree as he had stuck and did not fall out and this was leased forest land and the tree could not be cut. But I will say this I will chase the hounds again what a rush and lots of exercise. you will earn your bear.

PreviewAttachmentSize
3849-R1-01-24A_026.jpg
3849-R1-01-24A_026.jpg813.29 KB
2007 bear hunt

Awesome story man way to go!! Thumbs up

And by the sounds of it great shooting too, We use hounds but its for deer.

2007 bear hunt

I found out the bears have gone nocturnal . I went out hunting the Friday night stayed till dark and returned the next morning before sun up bait was gone sat for a while till 9:00am and did a bit of walking looking for the spot I'm going to sit opening morrning for riffle on white tail. I expect we will probably see a bear durring white tail seasion which over laps each other.
F.K.

2007 bear hunt

I wouldnt doubt you will and it will make one heck of a deer season too get both, but you might not want those bears running around scaring your deer away the deer wont stick around if you have a big hungry bear running around so you might wanna take one before the opener if you can. Like I said when you walk into your bait make alot of noise man make them realize the noise means dinner is served. Somehow you have to get them comming out during the day. Canadian tire has the new bear calls try one out (30 bucks made my knight and hale)

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Bear Hunt!ICS004/15/2007 21:36 pm
trade a hunt for 2007canadianwhitetail506/18/2007 00:52 am
trade a hunt for 2007canadianwhitetail401/19/2007 18:44 pm
spring bear hunt 2007loadedforbear403/09/2007 05:15 am
Ontario Bear Hunting 2007MaineHunter306/17/2007 23:25 pm