84 replies [Last post]
Bear season

Our bear season opens today, but and I meen a big but it looks like rain and I'm planing to use a flintlock .54 cal and black powder dosn't like the rain much.
Now we have been baiting for about a month now and every day our baits are cleaned out. We are useing meat scraps from a butcher to fill a 30 gal barrel that we have chained to a tree and in the past week I'v been bringing out marshmellows and sardiens, I call them bear smores and the seem to just love them. This is my first post but buy the looks of things I hope to fit right in.
Good luck to all those who start there hunt today . Fisher King

ADKBEAR's picture
2007 bear hunt

Well just got back and bagged a bear (not huge) with my bow. My first with a bow. Sorry there Atom did not see your reply before I left .
Hunted out of Lakeland Lodge (Gail and Buck Oliver) .
Will post a photo on a seporate thread.

bears

Congrats on the bears, both of you. Our season just opened on Saturday but I'm not hunting bears this year. In NH, you can't bait prior to the start of the season and you have to submit a map and coordinates of the bait site to F & G. You need written landowner permission to bait, yada, yada, yada. Maybe next year......

2007 bear hunt

ADK congrats man wish you coulda written me or I knew earlier you were in my backyard about 15 mins on the old rail bed right too you. Were you on wahnipitae or beside it. How did you like the overall hunt and how was the outfitter?

What did you think of the part of the woods I live in. Damn I wish I could have came too meet you I could have took you on a wicked tour. How many pounds was he/she and how many days it take you to get it?

2007 bear hunt

Welcome to the forums fisher!! Thumbs up and yup you will fit in we make everybody feel welcome and good luck on your hunt. I see you have the bait thing right on the money thats exactally what I used this year all kinds of goodies like that.
I also tryed out a new thing this year my kids are a little bit on the side of spoilers and like to waste food so I put it all too good use I just bought a small garbage can and used the little grocery bags filled em and froze em in my outside freezer then when I walk in to the bait its a big clump of frozen bear food they seemed to love it this year I think they just kept comming because it was something new to try every time. They really like that chocolate syrop you buy for ice cream man the pawed everything and chewed everything it was on. Ill use that for years too come try it out. Anyways good luck man when you get one share the story with us and if you can try to get some pics thanks. Thumbs up

2007 bear hunt

Hay Atomkall I went out yesterday got to my stand about 5:30 ratled the bait bucket and waighted.about an hour later I heard some steps no wind dead quite and out bound one cub than another than another came in followed by mom.
I had put out sardiens but forgot the marshmellows , well the only thing they were interested in was the beef tailings in the bait bucket. Mom fed first but the cubs wouldn't have any part of that. The cubs were growling and carrying on trying to get the bucket away from mom. well she gave up and started checking out things around her. I watched for about 45 min and the light was starting to fade a bit. so I figured if I made a bit of noise she might bugger off but no way she looked up at me and went back at it so I stood up and broke some branches well she didn't like that much and ambled off but the cubs stayed. she came back in three times nashing her teeth calling the cubs. The cubs would have no part of it ,but eventualy two left but one stayed to eat. well he decided that mom was getting to far away and took off like a shot.
I heard other walking sounds in the bush I was wondering if this was another bear comming in. Is this tipical of a sow bear with cubs to stick around like that with all that noise or are they just realy hungry?
Do you think she will be back tonight or have I scared her off?
By the way my buddy said I should have taken her because we have way to many bears around and it looks like three more in the next year or so to make a nusance of them selves. We also have heavy deer and Moose mortality from bears, so maybe today if they come in I will take the sow, I'v got mixed feelings Brick Wall,) Regards Fisher King

ADKBEAR's picture
2007 bear hunt
atomikall wrote:
ADK congrats man wish you coulda written me or I knew earlier you were in my backyard about 15 mins on the old rail bed right too you. Were you on wahnipitae or beside it. How did you like the overall hunt and how was the outfitter?

What did you think of the part of the woods I live in. Damn I wish I could have came too meet you I could have took you on a wicked tour. How many pounds was he/she and how many days it take you to get it?

Yeah crossed the rail bed going in on "Kukagami" Rd. Yes stayed on an island on Wahnapitai lake. Hunted the area South and East of the lake. The hunt was fantastic and the outfitters were good people.
The hunt was kind of last minute and I contacted another outfitter through this forum who could not help me with all that I wanted (was a family vacation/ hunting trip). The other outfitter gave me these peoples info and everything worked out fantastic.
The bear went about 130 dressed, like I said not huge.

Have been in your neck of the woods before and keep going back. The trip was shorter than I would have wanted it to be since my wife had to be at work on the following Sat . Would have stayed till Sunday or Monday then instead of leaving early Friday am. Think we will go back again next year and maybe we can arrange a get together then. There is another guy ont this forum from the area I would like to run into also.

2007 bear hunt

I just picked up some more marshmellows and some corn syriop, I imagine the should go for the corn syriop preaty good.
I couldn't find any chocolate syriop.
F.K.

2007 bear hunt

ADK yea you really dont know how close you were to me I woulda loved to have some real beers with yea and do some scouting and show you around the amazing places I found over the years. Plus you dont live around here so I wouldnt have to worry about you taking my hunting spots but anytime you wanna get together let me know man Im up for meeting for some beers and great hunts plus its about 30 bucks for me to get my guide license so I could bring you anywhere any guide could. Congrats on your hunt bro did you post pics yet? Did you do any fishing and where thats another thing I could have hooked you up with some lakes around where you were you would have loved specially for pickeral and lakers.

Fisher King : I dont like to take any sows unless I know they dont have cubs but If she was huge like abnormaly huge and her cubs were almost ready to leave mama Id take her why not they'll live their bears. I have also used corn syrop anything sweet like that works amazingly well when baiting bears. Where abouts do you hunt? and what city is closest to you? Go get her man and it dont matter how much you try to scare her she come back she might just take it a little slower next time she comes in (and it all depends on how you scare her) breaking branches shell be back yelling she'll be back shooting near her she might come back you never know and the bear you heard in the bush could have been anyone of them they all sound bigger on those crunchy leaves and twigs they were prolly just waiting around till you left so they could clean you out. I almost guarantee it. Thumbs up

ADKBEAR's picture
2007 bear hunt

Atom look at "first bow bear"

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Bear Hunt!ICS004/15/2007 21:36 pm
trade a hunt for 2007canadianwhitetail506/18/2007 00:52 am
trade a hunt for 2007canadianwhitetail401/19/2007 18:44 pm
spring bear hunt 2007loadedforbear403/09/2007 05:15 am
Would Like Nonresident Black Bear Hunting Info for 2007 huntPaha Sapa402/19/2006 06:19 am