26 replies [Last post]
2006 Ohio Gun Season

Wasnt slamming Buck.....I was simply helping him to see his friends error and offering the best advise possible for that particulat problem, which is PRACTICE....
Here is a little research I looked up for some smooth bore slugs that may help...I dont know what you are using but these are some of the latest innovations designed to increase velocities and Bullet Cohefficiant...Though the accuracy has greatly improved they are STILL best at no more than 75 yards for accuracy purposes in the field...Again these are for SMOOTH BORES not RIFLED Barrels.

The Federal TruBall and Winchester’s new Super-X Power-Point rifled slug are designed for smoothbore shotguns. They shoot fairly accurately through rifled bores but the soft lead will skid on the rifling and fill the grooves within just two or three shots, after which accuracy is severely compromised. Brenneke, Dynamit-Nobel, PMC, Fiocchi, Challenger, Wolf and others also offer full-bore designs with attached wads that are designed to be shot through smoothbore barrels.

Federal TruBall
The Federal TruBall, based on an idea patented by Georgia slug innovator Jay Menefee, is a simple yet ingenious expansion of a 70-year-old design. The typical rifled slug has not changed in a visual sense since ballistician Karl Foster’s design was picked up by Winchester and hit the market in the 1930s. It’s still a cup-shaped dollop of soft lead with “rifling” groves swaged into the outside walls.
The TruBall’s unique design—essentially a polymer ball inserted into the cavity of a conventional rifled slug and driven at 1600 fps by a cylindrical polymer pusher wad—doesn’t make the new slug any more powerful than conventional rifled slugs, but it does make it much more effective.
The TruBall extends the rifled slug’s effective range since the design essentially guarantees concentricity to the bore and, subsequently, truer flight.
The TruBall is not a 100-yard-plus load like the sabots on the market; it’s still a rifled slug. But the unique design improves accuracy to the point that it will be on target at considerably longer range than its short, stubby brethren.
Its Low Recoil version joins the Managed Recoil BuckHammer and Slugger designs, Hastings’ Low-Recoil Youth and Lightfield Lites in the kinder/gentler genre that still provides accuracy and sufficient lethal energy out to nearly 100 yards

I still dont know what Kind of shotguns Your Brother and friend were using, i.e Brand...Action (pump, singshot, Auto loader) How old they are (yes that matters)...All info is needed to accurately formulate a good solution ALONG WITH PRACTICE...I knew Deer season is close to over for you guys and this will be on your mind till next season which is a GOOD THING....Practice alot this summer and also PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE learn to hold yourself back from running deer shots...I say this with all urgancy. I am a trained shootist formaly trained growing up by an Army sniper (my dad) and then The U.S. Navy S.E.A.L. team 9 in Tactical entry and close quarters combat along with Overwatch. I can circumsize a flea at 800 meters without even a thought and I STILL do not take a running deer shot...I cant stress enough on the importaince of CLEANLY taking a deer or any other animal..As Ive said you OWE IT TO THE DEER!!!

2006 Ohio Gun Season

Im with everybody on this one. I shot a eight point buck on Nov. 14th with bow and didnt find it that afternoon. I took off work the next day to look and still couldnt find it. I looked until 9 pm on the 15th and finally found the deer only 100 yards from my stand he had circled around on me. You cant give up you gotta keep looking no matter what. You have to give the deer that respect or you shouldnt be out there hunting.

2006 Ohio Gun Season

Cam,you sound like a bad mamma-jamma....did'nt know you had it like dat! I might need your tactical abilitys if we get the chance to hunt together......I almost drown in a 6inch swamp this weekend when my boot got stuck!

2006 Ohio Gun Season

Them days are like the dark ages Now Buck...They say you go downhill after 40...What they neglected to tell me is a rocket is strapped to your back to PUSH YOU DOWN IT sad Idda probably DROWNED Laugh

2006 Ohio Gun Season

You ain't tell'n me noth'n . I can hurt myself if i get out of bed the wrong way ,I'm also a retired motorcycle stunt rider.....and all these old wrecks are coming back for 2nds.

2006 Ohio Gun Season

this is clearly a issue on respect/sportmenship. I dont like to be the one to be harsh. its a issue in which every hunter needs be able to KNOW where they shot a deer. This is a difficult sport to have to guess where shot. makin sure u can find the deer is all respect for it. findin a deer can be a long process espi. if u were not really sure where was hit, and what the enviroment is like. did ya say how long u looked for? another thing that makes me think about about deer hunting, if u know u hit them in the vitals or location that know no deer can live through and they are not going down, take another shot, this time in a region, hopely good shot at heart, and take it!!
fast of course, what it it going to hurt?

2006 Ohio Gun Season

Sorry for the long wait, ill try to explain this a little more.....

1. Friday night me and my 13 year old brother did a drive. I had no tags left so i did the driving. Right when i got into the woods i hear him shoot 2 times. I walk over to him and he tells me the story. He said 3 does came down the trail and he shot the biggest one at angle facing towards him at 15 feet. The deer turned and ran right past him at 5 feet as hbe was reloading. He uses a NEF 20 gauge single shot. he shot again as the deer ran away from him. The deer stopped after the 2nd shot but the other 2 stopped with her and he couldnt tell which one he shot from that far away. He told me when the deer ran in front of him at 5 feet he could see a hole behind the guts, infront of the back leg. This had to be the exit hole becouse he shot at the other side of the deer. We tracked it for 350 yards and well into the night. There was blood everywhere. The blood eventually thinned out and totally stopped. We know the area very well and went back the next morning. We searched for 3 more hours but found nothing.

2. On saturday morning, my brothers best friend was hunting about 1/4 mile away. 3 does walked out at 75 yards. He took 5 shots at the last doe in the line with his Mossberg 500 20ga. The deer ran around him in an arc and he was in a elevated stand so he had time to slip in 2 extra shots into his gun (has to be plugged). They found a good blood trail and we followed it in circles ALL afternoon unitl it stopped. There was alot of blood and this deer ran for 400-500 yards at least. again, we found no deer.

3. and 4. On Sunday evening (last day of season), my brothers friend shot 3 times at a doe in an open feild at 60 yards. me and him found blood and followed it for 200 yards and even had our lab on the trail for awhile but agian we found nothing. The blood just stopped coming out after awhile.

At the same time that my bro's freind shot, my brother took a shot at 20 feet at a really nice 8 point. He was hunting prolly 200 yards away. The deer was standing broadside and when he shot it ran of without using its front right leg. All we found was a little splatter of blod and a tiny bit of meat. We searched all night for thses last 2 deer and we couldnt find them.

My dad grew up in this area and we know it like the back of our hand and we just couldnt find these deer. Both the hunters are 13 and myu bro's freind does have a crazy trigger finger but he is making progress. My brother is a very good shot (he kills way more woodchucks than me) and he was really let down by these 2 deer not dying. My dad went out this week and bought him a mossberg 500 20 ga w/ scope and slug barrel. Please tell us what we did wrong here???

redrider's picture
2006 Ohio Gun Season

Have these guys hunted deer before?

2006 Ohio Gun Season

Ok....From what I can gather....I have a feeling you did a big no no and went after these deer too quickly and pushed them...Even with a clean lung hit you would be DUMBFOUNDED how far these deer can go when pushed...Simple rule to follow is...Go to the spot you hit it and check to see if theres blood/hair then wait...Bout 20 to 30 minutes..THEN pick up the trail...If you run after a fresh hit deer its not going to lay down and die...If you leave it alone and dont push it it will stop fairly quickly and lay down. Deer have an AMAZING ability to "run dead" and they will get away from you if pushed...If you found "meat" from that buck then in all likelyhood he hit it in the upper leg and not the shoulder so Its an injured deer and most likely, unless you hit a femoral artery then again you pushed it out, Its limping around.

2006 Ohio Gun Season

The 1st doe we started tracking right away becouse thier was A-LOT of blood and from what he saw it was badly wounded...and he thought he heard it fall which it did but it got back up.

The 2nd doe they waited on for about 45 minutes before they tracked it.

The 3rd doe went probably 45 minutes before bieng tracked and the buck went about 15 minutes.

The 1st doe was the only one we got on real fast.

And yes we have hunted deer before...as mentioned before this is the only time we have ever had trouble finding a deer weve shot....let alone 4.

All i can figure is that the 3 does were all shot a little far back and were gut shots and the buck was shot low on the upper part of the front leg

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
2006 gun season #'s ????brandonhill55212/08/2006 17:31 pm
Ohio turkey hunters10 point102/05/2003 16:03 pm
ohio muzzleloader bucksMig-Hunter211/15/2007 07:21 am
OHIO HUNTERS MUST COMPLY!!!!!ManOfTheFall710/25/2011 09:01 am
Ohio hunters, how did you do this year??10 point102/06/2003 17:03 pm