12 replies [Last post]
2005 partridge hunt

2005 partridge season should be good this year seen alot of little ones around

2005 partridge hunt

The chukar are on strong in SW Idaho and E. Oregon ... exciting. Gets me wantin' to hunt upland birds again.

2005 partridge hunt

The chukar are on strong in SW Idaho and E. Oregon ... exciting. Gets me wantin' to hunt upland birds again.

2005 partridge hunt

whats a chukar ive gotten about 30 or so birds this year not as good as i figured .

2005 partridge hunt

A chukar is a large partridge - maybe 1/3 the way between a hun and a pheasant for size. They habit rugged, dry terrain. They are from Afghanistan / India area of the world. And pics of Afghanistan are like pics of similar terrain in Idaho, Oregon, etc. where the birds have really flourished (e.g. Hells Canyon). They can (and do) run uphill like a healthy deer. If you are below them they will run up/out ahead of you. But if you can get alongside or above them - you are in for some of the most spectacular gunning possible. They take off straight downhill - often cackling almost like, but different, than a ringneck. And they often are continuously banking back and forth. Wicked target. The terrain they hang out in is steep - so you'll be challenged enough just keeping your footing - and then trying to swing on an exiting bird. They are very good eating. I'll paste a pic. If you were to lay a calif quail alongside - the quail would be probably a bit less than half as tall. Chukar are noted for their dark bands across their breast, the grey/black/white face, and their red beak/legs. A smaller subspecies is indeed called the Red-Leg partridge.

PreviewAttachmentSize
chukar-1-crop.jpg
chukar-1-crop.jpg72.08 KB
2005 partridge hunt

we got the best eating birds around all we have up here is ruffed a spruce we have nothin like that, Thats actually the first time I've ever seen one of those ours look alot different ill post some pix of my latest ones when i get them so you can see if you already havent seen what they look like i got 4 yesterday was a good day seen a huge bull moose wish i woulda had the cam he stood about 10 feet from my truck in the trail i was hunting and sat there eating hardwood the gracefully walked toward the truck around it on the road and down onto the other side wasnt scared atall its was awesome besides the fact its the middle of the season and i got no tag.

2005 partridge hunt

The grouse hunting you describe sounds great. I run into grouse from time to time deer and other hunting - but it doesn't seem they are in `huntable' numbers where I'm at - though some people do go `grouse hunting' - and love them on the table. I think we have a number of species of grose out here, including big blue grouse. In the southern part of the state we have sage grouse - which are apparently big birds. I think maybe I have seen a few - but never blasted one. Same with blues.

In the past decade the wild turkey have come on strong. I run into them from time to time - but have not hunted them. Some people around here have become turkey hunting fanatics.

rambo's picture
2005 partridge hunt

Ive got 2 prarie chikens and 2 grouse so far this year just with a .22, went out for squrels and anything else and came back with supper.

2005 partridge hunt

Hey serious
You gotta try one of those sage grouses, I've heard those are great eating the whole grouse family is supposed to be but I've only ever seen a sage once here we have very very little numbers of those here and I don't think that we even have blue grouse but we have unlimited numbers of spruce and ruffed grouse and to me they are the best eating better than chicken and turkey but don't get me wrong I love em all but I have my favourites.

2005 partridge hunt

lol oh ya i kinda got caught up hunting and working lat year been awhile so now its almost the 2006 bird hunt.

2005 partridge hunt

Ruffed grouse eat good...byt the chukar is king when it comes to the table. There is no finer thing that flies as far as dinner goes. Anyone who has ever fried up a chukar knows that. That is why we still go through hell to get them.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
WHATS THE BEST GAUGE FOR PARTRIDGE(RUFFED GROUSE)wonksy1204/10/2007 01:12 am
phesant, partridge and woodcockdan the gun005/26/2010 09:49 am
2007 Partridge Huntatomikall207/11/2007 20:19 pm
10 Pref. points for Col. in 2005 - Best units to applynorthman712/07/2004 20:12 pm
Partridge(Grouse)atomikall3710/12/2008 13:06 pm