2 replies [Last post]
2004 Archery hunt

I made my first trip to Colorado this fall for a late September archery hunt in unit 25 ... and plan on returning next fall. My father is US Army retired / disabled and has decided he would like to accompany me this next fall. His disability is from Vietnam ... bullet through the neck severing 3 vertebrae. He is as able bodied as most late 50 year old men and has full use of all of his limbs with very limited muscle strength. He has applied for and recieved a crossbow permit from the state of CO. I am planning on applying for units 23, 24 and 33 and heading out in mid September for a two week hunt. Here is where things get more interesting ... he is not crazy about the idea of sleeping in a tent for 10-14 days and wants me to take out my 5th wheel camper. Unit is 27 feet long ... does anyone have any personal experiance with the access roads leading into the White River National Forest from the Meeker area? We will have atv's with us so it is not necessary to really get back into the back country to camp ... but within 10 miles or so would be nice. I think if you take route 8 out of Meeker .... there is a road that turns south and goes into the Forest ... is this road in good enough shape to pull a camper?

By the way ... looks to be a great forum you have here and I would like to thank you in advance for any information you might have.

cowgal's picture
2004 Archery hunt

Welcome Swilk!

There are several primitive campgrounds in that area. We've camped at Trappers Lake with a 25 foot camper & did just fine. The roads are a bit rough & wash-boardy, but if you take it easy you should do ok.

I would recommend contacting some folks in that area like the Buford Store 970-878-4745(along county road 8 ), they could give you more detailed info. BTW the Buford Store & several of the lodges in that area offer cabins & some camping (for trailers) as well.

You might want to check out the White River National Forest website & see if they offer any info:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/whiteriver/

Good Luck!

[ This Message was edited by: cowgal on 2003-12-30 11:47 ]

2004 Archery hunt

I have several maps of the area and was looking at access roads 217 and 245 going north off of I70 and access road 59 coming south out of Buford. All 3 roads look to be good enough to gain access to the area but the 2 campgrounds in the area (Three Forks and Meadow Lake) only accept campers less than 16 feet. My camper is fully self contained so I dont need a true campground ... is there many places in the area to just pull off and camp? In unit 25, close to the Coffee Pot area, there were several areas where a guy could pull off .... anyone know if this is the case in these areas?

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Need information for Archery Cow Elk Hunt in ColoradoBS23R1307/07/2008 06:10 am
"GOT LUCKY"elkkill06905/21/2013 19:02 pm
Archery unit 3 Moffat Areatonyoneword1606/02/2009 04:47 am
NM Archery Elk hunt 5000.00 price loweredRockn9858107/28/2009 17:40 pm
Alberta Archery Elk HuntMirage008/26/2006 17:48 pm