16 replies [Last post]
2000+ Yards Elk Shots??

I think that as a hunter you have an ethical duty to make a clean kill on your quarry. I personally don't feel that a 2000 yard shot is ethical. Too much of a chance of just wounding an animal, no matter who is at the trigger. I personally feel comfortable out to about 400. I wouldn't think of taking a shot longer than that. See that is when I use my stalking skills to get into an ethical range and make a clean ethical kill.

2000+ Yards Elk Shots??

We all need to remember that ethics are like religious beliefs, we can all discuss them and I believe we ought to use peer presher and educational programs to push the ethics of what ever groups we may belong to have agreed to as being basic ethics, however, we must all remember that we want to help others to see things our way but that we do not want to start passing laws in order to force them into our ehtics or standards. Every time we pass a law, we are takeing away the rights of hunters. Even if they take the long shot when we may not. They still have the right to hunt as they feel able to and desireable to within the law. Lets try to understand and make alowances for those differances rather then scorn and outlaw those who see things differently.

2000+ Yards Elk Shots??

Quote:

On 2003-10-05 05:00, Turkmothy wrote:
We all need to remember that ethics are like religious beliefs, we can all discuss them and I believe we ought to use peer presher and educational programs to push the ethics of what ever groups we may belong to have agreed to as being basic ethics, however, we must all remember that we want to help others to see things our way but that we do not want to start passing laws in order to force them into our ehtics or standards. Every time we pass a law, we are takeing away the rights of hunters. Even if they take the long shot when we may not. They still have the right to hunt as they feel able to and desireable to within the law. Lets try to understand and make alowances for those differances rather then scorn and outlaw those who see things differently.

I don't think a 2000 yd shot is ethical but I'd have to agree with the above statement.

[ This Message was edited by: rather_be_huntin on 2003-10-06 16:18 ]

2000+ Yards Elk Shots??

Ethics? How about common sense.

If you are one of those talented enough to to consistently make such a shot at 2000 yds and practice for that range and have a legal firearm that is capable (if there is one)then how would ethics be an issue?

However, the majority of us cannot make such a shot. I know that my own rifle drops about 19" at approximately 500 yds and by the time it gets out to 2000 yds I could probably catch it with a baseball glove. Common sense tells me not to shoot.

My ethics tell me not to poach, disobey hunting regulations etc... My common sense tells me not to attempt something I am not capable of doing.

While I am on the topic of ethics and common sense, the Utah deer hunt starts this saturday. If I could have one opener during my life that someone did not use their rifle scope to see if I was their buddy, I would be one happy hunter.
BUY A SET OF BINOCULARS!

Happy Huntin!

2000+ Yards Elk Shots??

I,m so sick of idiots on the opener here in Utah that I switched to bowhunting. I've got the extended hunt so I can hunt into December. I hunt almost every weekend but you can bet I'm taking this weekend off. Last year I shot a deer and had the thing taken from me practically at gunpoint. The night before the opener loud party hunters kept me up till one in the morning.

No thanks, I hope your hunt goes better than my last few general rifle hunts.

2000+ Yards Elk Shots??

Besides skill, there are way too many environmental variables for such a shot to be ethical. Hunting conditions are not range conditions. Also, hunting is not target shooting. There is no such thing as ultra long range hunting. Elk are too precious to play such macho games with them. Face it, elk hunting means physical exercise, no way around it. Park the ATV, learn to stalk, and forget about shooting over 300 yards. Anybody shootin' elk at that range needs to stay outta my way.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
.22 WMR VS .17 HMR for coyotesredneckhunter805/10/2008 07:08 am
My Morning buck and my dads firstracer965903/31/2006 00:00 am
New hereJ The Deer Slayer1701/07/2009 16:46 pm
Best .22 LR groundhog ammo?redneckhunter308/11/2008 18:53 pm
1,039 yards!jaybe1207/04/2011 23:07 pm