12 replies [Last post]
200 yard load for Hawkins.........

Hello Fellow BlackPowder Smokers..... I'm hoping that you can help me get up a load for my Hawkins cap ignition 54 cal.... or my cap 50 cal CV that will shoot out there with power and accuracy. I know things have changed since I last shot these guns back in the early 90's when I hunted and Co-Produced Quest Videos with Dave Erhig from Pa. Now I live in SC and there are plenty of muzzleloading areas open to good hunting and I thought I'd take a break from my bow and arrow and try some of these areas in their youth hunts. It's been so long since I shot them.... I've even forgot the load I used. I need to start all over and see what is best to shoot today. So much has changed. I thought about selling them and buying an inliner..... for some of that long range accuracy....... but thought I should reach out for help first to see what I can do with what I have...... any help will be appreciated.... thanks..... Jesus Bless you.....Dan Brothers dbrot7@cs.com

If you are useing patched round ball I would not shoot it over 100 yards ethicaly. If you are using conicals like lee real bullet that could be diffrent.
Like reloading every gun is diffrent and likes a diffrent load.
I found with my TC Hawkens .50 1/48 twist it likes 77 grns of 2F BP.
Now with My Lyman Great Plains Rifflel In .54 1/60 It will group best with anything above 75 grns of 2F all the way up to 110grns of BP.
Rule of thumb is start out with 2F with the bore size .50 start with 50grns of 2F and work up in 5grn increments, .54 start at 55 grns of 2F, ect
1/28 twist is for saboted bullets 1/48 for Prb or conicals. 1/60 and up is strictly for PRB.
Hope this helps.
Regardes and good hunting F.K.

so your saying I can't use sabot bullets......?

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
he4givs wrote:

You can use them but what he is saying is that every rifle is different. Yours may shoot them accurate enough to be able to take a 200 yard shot and still be close enough on a 100 yard shot. It is something that you need to try out in your rifle and see what happens. I personally don't believe that a Hawkin rifle is a 200 yard gun. I have a TC Renegade and feel that 150 yards is max.

not only is the Hawkins probably NOT a 200 yard rifle...... I just realized that nieither gun is tapped out for scope mount rings..... so....... they will have to be iron sight guns I guess....... so 200 yard shots are out the window....... so I'm just looking for a combination bullet - powder that will give me max range. I also have a 54 cal TC Pistol that I've shot deer with years ago at 50 yards in one of Quest's Videos. I guess I need to watch my own videos and see what I did years ago. BUT....... I'm wanting to go forward into longer range shooting..... if that is possible...... thanks for your imput..... all is appreciated.....

he4givs wrote:

Do you know the twist of the barrel 1/28 is usualy for sabots . you can try sabot in your gun it may shoot them allright but I was just stating rule of thumb
If your gun has a 1/48 twist you mabe able to getaway with using saboted bullets but from what I have learned is that conicals or PRB are the way to go.
I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers.
F.K. Thumbs up

Here some recommendations from Germany!

1. I guess your .50 CV rifle will have a 1 in 48'' ROT and so it will be a universal bullet shooter and you can use it for sabots. I will recommend any kind of sabot or great plains bullets from Hornady (kind of Minie with HP). With a adjustable sight and and a good load of bp (100 grs Goex FFg) you should be able to get good grouping up to 200 yds. With the right combo you can bring down any kind of game walking in the USA.

2. For the .54 GPR it is a RB shooter. With its adjustable sight you can bring the RB up to 150 yds with good accuracy. Start with 100 grs GOEX FFg, .535 RB and .010" lubed patch.

BTW I read Dave Ehrigs book "Muzzleloading for Deer and Turkey" with great interest.

Have fun!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Here some recommendations from Germany!

1. I guess your .50 CV rifle will have a 1 in 48'' ROT and so it will be a universal bullet shooter and you can use it for sabots. I will recommend any kind of sabot or great plains bullets from Hornady (kind of Minie with HP). With a adjustable sight and and a good load of bp (100 grs Goex FFg) you should be able to get good grouping up to 200 yds. With the right combo you can bring down any kind of game walking in the USA.

2. For the .54 GPR it is a RB shooter. With its adjustable sight you can bring the RB up to 150 yds with good accuracy. Start with 100 grs GOEX FFg, .535 RB and .010" lubed patch.

BTW I read Dave Ehrigs book "Muzzleloading for Deer and Turkey" with great interest.

Have fun!

Regards

Kirrmeister

thanks for the tips from Germany....... I'll try those loads .......

I never read Dave's book..... but need too...... he made my a custom made powder horn back around 1990........ it's too fancy to use...... but a keep sake for sure...... I need to talk to Dave..... it's been years........ thanks again..... Jesus Bless you......Dan

Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Re: 200 yard load for Hawkins.........

Other responses about said enough about rate of twist and the type of ball/bullet to use. I wouldn't even consider using a patched ball on any game animal weighing over 150 lbs at any range past 75 yards. They have the aerodynamics of a rock and loose too much energy too fast. Stick with conicals and 90 to 120 gr of you favorite powder; load for accuracy rather than velocity. I suppose you could use those plastic wrapped pistol bullets if (doubtful) you rifle has a 1/36 or 1/28 twist but using sabots in a side lock leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This will work on anything you are likely to hunt out to 100 yards, 150 if you practice A LOT. Muzzle loaders a short range weapons. If 200 yards is your goal, stick with a .30-06.

Re: 200 yard load for Hawkins.........

For what it's worth, a sporting goods store was closing(bought by a chain, then shut down), and they had some .54 hornady sabot's that were marked down just enough I figured I'd try them in my 1 in 48(basically a clone of a lyman deerstalker).
Irregardless of the load the bullet's keyholed from 75 yds.
Same gun patched ball from 75 yds with 80 and 90gr ffg I can pretty much put it in a 2" bullseye all day long(barring my screwups), but from 100yds I can't hit the old pigfeeder the target's tacked to.
We wanted a second m/l and were fortunate enough to come across a really nice J. Browning mountain rifle 1 in 66 twist, .54 at the right price. Will take it out for the first time this weekend. Am hoping where our 1 in 48 is, I consider a good deer rifle from 50yds, and target from 75; this one may be a good deer rifle from 75 or so, and target from 100, maybe even a tad more. We'll see.

By the way, anyone close to me is welcome to the mentioned box and a half of sabots/bullets for a coffee and a funny joke.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
TriviaM.Bird009/16/2011 00:05 am
Bear Load Sight InCritter605/01/2012 10:50 am
Favorite 45-70 load?groovy mike901/25/2011 06:55 am
Hot loads! For slug shooters!trappermike107/30/2007 12:51 pm
7.62x54 - Type 53RevHoover411/08/2011 07:25 am