24 replies [Last post]
1903 Springfield 30-06

Thanks. I bought the scope at a yard sale years ago, and discovered that the scope had some internal issues(it looked like new), so I sent it back to the factory and they re-built it. It was one of Simmon's top-of-the line scopes, but I wasn't crazy about the silver color. The gunsmith that drilled and tapped it put matching base and rings on it, so it turned out good. The butt-plate is also silver, and came off a Remington rifle, as well as the pistol-grip cap. So it looks pretty good overall. One thing I like about the '03 is the fact that you can let the tension off the firing pin spring without dry-firing it. I like that feature that it's like an old .22 bolt-action with the manual knob on the back.

ADKBEAR's picture
1903 Springfield 30-06

It is sharp for sure. Wonder if there is any way to get a silver trigger guard? I think that would give it that fisnishing custom look for the gun Thumbs up

1903 Springfield 30-06

I don't know, as it's hard to say what kind of hardware is on the gun. I sold one of my favorite rifles to my boss...a 700 bdl 270. I figured I'd take this one out of the safe and tune it in. I mainly want it to be a tack-driver for hunting, to replace the one I sold. If it groups as well as the old 700, I'll be very happy.....

1903 Springfield 30-06

Yea my dad uses a springfield 30-06. he likes it alot. very nice gun and very well kept.

Mudan

wyoelkhunter's picture
1903 Springfield 30-06

That sure is a very nice weapon. I shot one for many years the barrel is starting to go so its moth balled for now. When my boys get old enough to hunt I want them to use that rifle it was my grand dads and want them and hopefully there kids to shoot it. Youll be hard pressed to find one nicer shooting rifle than an 03.

1903 Springfield 30-06

That's neat. Merry Christmas!!

Rock Island

I have an old Springfield '03. I Believe it is an A3. It has been used for deer and elk for the last 9 or so years. This year I added a new Burris Scope on it with the older weaver scope mounts. There is a clearance problem now between the scope and the bolt action. The gun smith said it is common and could cost about $65 to fix it.

When the gun smith looked it over we found that it was drilled and tapped for the scope 2x already. First time, someone did a very poor job and re-drilled and tapped it again. He said that the extra holes (4 total in each spot) is of great concern.
That and I also desperately need a new stock. With all of this, I will be retiring it.
I am sure I will slowly rebuild it again. Whether or not it will go hunting with me again, I don't know.

But, I had alot of fun with that rifle and it shot very well. It, in no way, looked as nice as yours though.

1903 Springfield 30-06

Hang on to your '03. As you said, you may get it out again one day. I need to zero mine in, and haven't done it. Deer season went out here last Sat.(and I'm kinda glad). I think next year will be the year that I will use mine. I tend to favor one rifle all season, once I have zeroed and "bonded" with it. Good luck.....

1903 Springfield 30-06

There are a lot of sporterized '03s that have bad scope base holes. These receivers are very hard on the surface and this makes them a bear to drill & tap. Also, many gunsmiths who attemp to do this job know nothing about these rifles (now and in the old days).

The only 1903's that the military had scopes on were the Warner & Swassey equiped rifles from WW1 (mount attached to the side of the receiver), an experimental series with Winchester A5 scopes (these used the front sight base as part of the mount), the WW2 USMC with Unertl scope and the Army '03A4 that was d&t at Remington at time of manufacture.

A lot of good gunsmiths won't take on the job of d&t'ing a vintage militaty rifle because they tend to be more trouble than it's worth. The risk of breaking a drill bit or tap off in the receiver isn't worth what little the gunsmith can make off the job.

I suggest that if you want a hunting rifle with a scope then get a commercially made rifle. You can get a more accurate Savage or Remington for less money than trying to make a mil-surp into something it's not.

1903 Springfield 30-06

Here's my '03.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
1903 Springfield 30.06 ReceiverLPappas204/07/2011 08:06 am
Springfield '03 A3 30-06Blacktailer805510/14/2007 22:25 pm
FS: Springfield Armory M1A .308 caliberkj7689003/20/2012 17:49 pm
Full Length Stock?marksman606/28/2011 17:43 pm
Springfield pistolsCVC905/06/2007 14:45 pm