26 replies [Last post]
Re: 162 A-Max Moly 7MM Remington Magnum

When the company who designed,engineered and sells the bullet says its not for hunting, WHY question them?

Alamosa's picture

From the Hornady A-Max website:
*Match bullets are not recommended for hunting medium & large game.
http://www.hornady.com/store/A-MAX

I'd be interested in nearly anything that would give me better groups but I gotta limit my choices to hunting bullets.
I also noticed that some people have complained that moly bullets cause way too much fouling in the barrels.

Again, everyone that offered unbiased information and advice, I thank you very much! However, my background is Engineering and Inspection as a profession and I "don't" believe everything I read. Marketing has strange ways of telling you what you do or don't want to hear. Hard evidence and asking your fellow hunters who have taken the time to prove different combinations in hunting situations is what I hang my hat on. Thanks to all and GOOD HUNTING Thumbs up

WesternHunter's picture
7Magjoe wrote:
Again, everyone that offered unbiased information and advice, I thank you very much! However, my background is Engineering and Inspection as a profession and I "don't" believe everything I read. Marketing has strange ways of telling you what you do or don't want to hear. Hard evidence and asking your fellow hunters who have taken the time to prove different combinations in hunting situations is what I hang my hat on. Thanks to all and GOOD HUNTING Thumbs up

Glad to hear that there is at least one more person out there who refuses to fall victim to hype and marketing Thumbs up

socokhntr

socokhnr and others,

I started using the 162 grain hornady a max three years ago for my 7 RUM. I am from Montana and so lets just say I have shot a few elk. Well in the three years I have used this great bullet for elk and deer hunting, I have been lucky enough to harvest 3 elk and 3 deer. Lets just talk about the elk right now for all you match bullet none believers. The first elk I harvested was at 203 yards on the run. The shot hit just a tad back rolling the cow in her tracks. I was a little confused as to how this happend, as I have never seen an elk roll like that before. Well when i got up to her i COULD SEE WHY IT HAPPEND. The cow was at a slight quarting away shot so the bullet hit back through her lungs blowing out her opposite shoulder leaving a baseball size hole. hmmmmm I thought this bullet could not penetrate tough hide and bone? Elk number two was shot at 562 yards. I hit this young bull high in the shoulder. Not one step was taken as he dropped in his tracks. The bullet blew right through the first shoulder exploded both lungs, went though the second shoulder, and I found a nice nickel sized bullet inbetween the hide and shoulder. Sounds like controlled expasion to me! Well elk three showed the same results, but this one made it the furthest, taking 2 steps before tumbling at 428 yards away. This shot was right in the money though exploding the heart and opposite high shoulder as it was standing quatering away. All the deer were the same with the luckiest one making it 30 yards before collapsing. O ya by the way I sent my nice controlled bullets into hornady and got a free box and bag of brass!!! So there ya go. I shooting a 7mm RUM 162 gr. Hornady A Max with federal magnum primers and 79.5 grains of Hod pow. With a BC of .625 and a velocity of 2950 fps, it sure seams to work good up here in the Rockies.

SoCoKHntr's picture
A Max

zmanstyle wrote:

socokhnr and others,

I started using the 162 grain hornady a max three years ago for my 7 RUM. I am from Montana and so lets just say I have shot a few elk. Well in the three years I have used this great bullet for elk and deer hunting, I have been lucky enough to harvest 3 elk and 3 deer. Lets just talk about the elk right now for all you match bullet none believers. The first elk I harvested was at 203 yards on the run. The shot hit just a tad back rolling the cow in her tracks. I was a little confused as to how this happend, as I have never seen an elk roll like that before. Well when i got up to her i COULD SEE WHY IT HAPPEND. The cow was at a slight quarting away shot so the bullet hit back through her lungs blowing out her opposite shoulder leaving a baseball size hole. hmmmmm I thought this bullet could not penetrate tough hide and bone? Elk number two was shot at 562 yards. I hit this young bull high in the shoulder. Not one step was taken as he dropped in his tracks. The bullet blew right through the first shoulder exploded both lungs, went though the second shoulder, and I found a nice nickel sized bullet inbetween the hide and shoulder. Sounds like controlled expasion to me! Well elk three showed the same results, but this one made it the furthest, taking 2 steps before tumbling at 428 yards away. This shot was right in the money though exploding the heart and opposite high shoulder as it was standing quatering away. All the deer were the same with the luckiest one making it 30 yards before collapsing. O ya by the way I sent my nice controlled bullets into hornady and got a free box and bag of brass!!! So there ya go. I shooting a 7mm RUM 162 gr. Hornady A Max with federal magnum primers and 79.5 grains of Hod pow. With a BC of .625 and a velocity of 2950 fps, it sure seams to work good up here in the Rockies.

Zman, can't argue with real world results which you've had with that bullet. Sounds very much like how the Berger VLD hunting bullet is shown to perform. I will say anytime you are throwing a heavy chunk of lead at an animal at high velocity and get it into the vitals you are likely going to kill it (obviously) and by aiming behind the shoulder most can do this regardless of bullet choice (cup and core/bonded/monolithic/target) if the bullet is heavy enough as with larger calibers to aid penentration regardless of make. What I find very surprising is the fact that you are blowing thru shoulder bones and at long ranges consistently (3 elk) killing elk with the A Max. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer but now with your findings wonder if it wouldn't be a good elk bullet as well in heavy enough bullets 160gr and up. I have killed one cow with the 168 berger but didn't have to penetrate shoulder on that kill. but have read many people take shoulder shots with the Berger and kill elk. Very interesting please keep reporting on your experiences with the A Max and elk and if you keep getting dramatic kills and no failures I might consider trying it myself.

Cheers

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
7mm Remington Magnum7Magjoe702/25/2009 15:26 pm
Ammo for sale: 375 H-H Magnum & .416 Remington Magnumjhanlon306/24/2008 05:55 am
Which .22 magnum to get?redneckhunter1112/10/2008 15:10 pm
300 WSM barrel lengthOver50707/23/2010 18:19 pm
can you moly coat yer own bullets?crowsfoot209/30/2010 10:10 am