26 replies [Last post]
WesternHunter's picture
Re: 162 A-Max Moly 7MM Remington Magnum
7Magjoe wrote:
I appreciate everyones responses as they are definitely helpful as I get ready to venture out this October. I do however want a bullet with some A-- behind it hence why I shoot the 162grain. I have looked, and only the Accubond comes the heaviest in 7mm and it is 160. Would you recommend this bullet and how accurate are these? I do not have experience with them but will try them if it's a better fit for hunting ELK. Additionally......how do you all feel about Moly? I happen to like the moly and the Lubilox offered from combined technology (however those only come as heavy as 150). Will the bullet perform diffently without moly or lubilox? Should I put molly on them if that is what I prefer? Any input you have is helpful.

I do love the A-max and they are "accurate" a 2 1/2'' group at 300 is not uncommon with a good rest. I do realize that the Elk vitals are basketball size, but if i go to the Accubond 160's and have a 2'' group at 100 yards, I would not be happy with that. Right now 100 and 200 are gimmies. I would also like to keep a balistic tip bullet hence the Accubond. Can anybody offer any help?

Nothing wrong with asking the question at all, and I mean absolutley no offenese when I say this, but you are making this issue way more complicated that it really needs to be. I recall the days when Remongton Cor-Lokts and Winchester Silver Tips in the approriate calibers and weights were the norm in factory ammo for Elk. And those "pedestrian" rounds took down a great number of Elk just fine. A lot has sure changed in todays market. I'm greatfull to have a vast variety of bullets to choose from, but it's been my observation with people today that the more choices they are given, the more overwhelmed they become. Hunters today seem to make way too much of a deal selecting the so-called perfect bullet. My advise for hunting is to start by ridding your mind of the whole bullet lube and moly coat thing, then forget about using match grade benchrest type bullets for hunting. Just forget about it. Some benchrest shooters got that whole moly lube thing started and it may work for some shooters on paper targets, but I would steer clear of that junk for hunting edible game animals. As I understand the A-MAX is a benchrest match grade bullet. Great for paper targets, but maybe not so great on real game. Benchrest shooters and hunters have a whole different set of criteria and requirments for bullets. I know, as I do both. Plus I just don't think much good of moly and bullet lubes usage anyway. A 7mm Mag is a great caliber for Elk. For bullets on elk I'd recommend any of the following: Speer Grand Slams, Nosler Partitions, Federal Fusions, Speer Spritzers (not the boattail), maybe even a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Accubonds were also suggested in the posts above. Anyway, take it for what you think this advise is worth. Good luck.

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

7Magjoe, I shoot a 7 RUM loaded with 160gr Accubonds. I have never had any problems with this bullet in terms of accuracy or performance. I'll say I've never had any bullets perform as well as the accubonds. I've shot most of them; ie, SST, Interbond, Sierra Gamekings, Nosler BT/Partition, Combined tech, Aframe, Speer HP, Berger and IMHO none compare to the Accubond in a .284. Accuracy is good(just over 1") but can be made better by changing the setting depth. You will not go shoot matches with this round. But like SoCoKHntr, you're trying to hit a basket ball size vital zone, not a 1000yd match. You should have no problem loading these bullets and the rifle hitting the bullseye at 400 yds. The question is if you can shoot up to the potential of your rifle. I know you'll be working up loads and shooting from a bench with good results. But unless you plan on carrying a shooting bench with you in the woods, I'd suggest practicing prone, kneeling and standing shooting positions before heading afield.

Penetration and internal damage is exceptional. These bullets have an extra kick to them. All the bullets I've mentioned have been very successful, the Accubonds take it to another level. You can't go wrong with the Accubond. Good Luck to you.

I have used the accubonds and have had good luck you dont want to get a shot at a big bull and not have the shot penetrate I had this happen with a mule deer I shot it in the shoulder at 75 yds with 30-06 and a 150 grain hornady spire point and it came apart when it hit the shoulder it broke the shoulder blade but did not penetrate my freind shot it with a better bullet in a .308 and killed it now that deer is hanging on his wall I think the minimum for elk is the cor-lokt or the hornady interlock with the a frame or the partition being ideal the accubond is accurate and holds together well and are not expensive compared other premium bullets

Ecubackbacker/or anyone else that might know........It sounds as though people believe in the Accubond which is what I'm leaning towards. Do you have any experience with the Hornady SST 162? I will be loading these myself and you've made mention of setting depth. Do you have any recommendations for setting depth or overall length? I also load my A-max with 55grains of IMR 4350. What do you recommend for to load the accubonds. As I mentioned above are the SST's accurate or do they carry similar performance on Elk? I do like the Hornady's I've used and would lean toward the SST if it were as good a round or a close second to the accubonds. I'm looking for suggestions on the SST and accubond and possibly a good recipe combination if anyone is willing to offer that information. Thanks again for all the comments!

elkkill06's picture

7Magjoe,
I have not shot the 162 gr SST, but I do shoot the 139 gr SST Interbonds and Interlocks out of my 7MM RUM on elk and taken several, including two big bulls. The Interlocks at my higher speeds do tend to come apart at high speeds and closer ranges, but the the Interbonds hold together very well, and both are very accurate out of my rifle. I think the 162 gr should work very well for you depending on if your rifle likes them or not. My brother shoots the Accubonds out of his 300 RUM and loves the performance and his are very accurate. Good luck with your decisions. Thumbs up

ecubackpacker's picture

If you're going to stay with the Hornady line of bullets, then I would switch to the Interbond. The Interbond is a bonded core bullet designed for penetration and weight retainage. The SST is designed for maxumum expansion. I've loaded both bullets in the past but have since switched to the Accubonds. More devestating terminal results with the Accubonds.

Seating depth and working loads will vary from rifle to rifle even among the same rifle manufacturer. I shoot hot loads with my bullet seated to within 1/10thousands of the rifle lands. This gives the most accurate combination in my rifle yet renders it a single shot rifle in the process. I have installed a mag follower to ensure proper feeding of follow up shots. I basically use this setup for "box blind" hunting where I have time to view deer, pick one out and use the shooting rail for very accurate, long range shots. Now, when I want to take this rifle for a sill hunting trip, I'll reduce the load, adjust the seating depth, and take out the mag follower to allow 2 rounds in the mag; which still gives me MOA accuracy.

Loads to start with can be found at the Nosler website. Here's an example of the different capacities between the 7mag and the 7rum using the 160 Accubond:
Caution! These are max loads, always start at a lower load! Your rifle may not handle the max load!
7mag
RL-19 61.5gr @ 3046fps
IMR-4350 60.0gr @ 2998fps
IMR-4064 53.0gr @ 2908fps

7rum
Retumbo 92.0gr @ 3229fps
IMR 7828 85.0gr @ 3231fps

Where to start for you? Start at least 5grs below max and work your way up from there. Good luck

exbiologist's picture

I tested some SSTs last July in a phone book penetration test. They are not nearly as tough as regular interlocks from what I can tell. They are more like Ballistic Tips in that they expand a lot. That's fine with a nice broadside shot, not as good on a quartering shot. In my tests with 140 grain SSTs out of a .264 Win Mag they completely came apart and penetrated less than standard Speer 140 grain Spitzers, neither of which did as well as TTSXs or Partitions. 130 Accubonds and S140 peer Hot Cors were close in performance in that test.

Excellent! I appreciate all of the dialog on this subject and I think I have a few options with the accubond I am going to experiment with. I have some time before my trip so I'm hopeful I will find a good combination. Now I'm not trying to be "surgical" about shooting, however I do want optimal accuracy so I was curious about Colorado air? I live in Michigan and I'm curious how much if any, difference does thin air make on bullet travel. Again, I'm only trying to learn and understand, not shoot ticks from the hide of an Elk. Does anyone have any information on the significance of the air on bullet travel? Thanks again!

i've used the sst on deer and was not impressed large exit wounds and deer that ran a long ways I'm glad I did'nt shoot an elk with them. accubonds are accurate and hold together the last one I dug out of an elk pennetrated both shoulders and was under the skin on the other side never weighed it but it looked like about 90% retention the super shock tip on the sst initiates expantion like a ballistic tip which I'm afraid would be to fast you want controlled expantion which the accubond does with a thicker jacket than the sst if you like hornadys go for their interbond thats their competion for the accubond

WesternHunter's picture
7Magjoe wrote:
Excellent! I appreciate all of the dialog on this subject and I think I have a few options with the accubond I am going to experiment with. I have some time before my trip so I'm hopeful I will find a good combination. Now I'm not trying to be "surgical" about shooting, however I do want optimal accuracy so I was curious about Colorado air? I live in Michigan and I'm curious how much if any, difference does thin air make on bullet travel. Again, I'm only trying to learn and understand, not shoot ticks from the hide of an Elk. Does anyone have any information on the significance of the air on bullet travel? Thanks again!

Theoretically a bullet will travel farther at 8000 ft than it will at sea level. A 7mm mag at this elevation can go for 7 miles at mountain elevations in theory. Truthfully at a straight aim point that bullet will hit the ground due to gravity pulling it before it reaches 1000 yards. More realistically in the high country with all the obstacles and varying terrain it will be stopped before traveling very far, HOPEFULLY!! The air is much less dense up in the high country of Colorado and very dry. I don't think you will notice much difference at 100yrds, 200yrds, or 300yrds. Your zero may be slightly higher, but nothing that will cause you a miss as long as you do your part as a shooter.

Just make sure your rifle is sighted in at the zero you want with the exact load that you will hunt with. Then once you get here make sure you re-check your zero at elevation by firing a few shot groups before hunting. Good luck.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
7mm Remington Magnum7Magjoe702/25/2009 15:26 pm
Ammo for sale: 375 H-H Magnum & .416 Remington Magnumjhanlon306/24/2008 05:55 am
Which .22 magnum to get?redneckhunter1112/10/2008 15:10 pm
300 WSM barrel lengthOver50707/23/2010 18:19 pm
can you moly coat yer own bullets?crowsfoot209/30/2010 10:10 am