4 replies [Last post]
$15000.00 grant to HSUS

PETsMART Makes Donation to Anti-Hunting Group- (01/09)
National

The charitable arm of PETsMART, Inc., PETsMART Charities, recently made a sizable contribution to the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s largest animal rights organization.

PETsMART Charities has announced that it awarded a $15,000 grant to HSUS to fund spay and neuter clinics and pet care sessions in Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia. However, HSUS is not a national sheltering organization, as many people believe it to be. Despite its name, HSUS does not operate or oversee any animal shelters or have any legal control over them.

In making this donation, PETsMART Charities is contributing to a leading animal rights group whose main goal is to end all animal use, including hunting, fishing and trapping.

The HSUS has demonstrated its opposition to outdoor sports by encouraging its members to support legislation to prohibit hunting and resist legislation that would expand hunting opportunities. The organization calls hunting “fundamentally at odds with the values of a humane, just and caring society.”

Wayne Pacelle, vice president of HSUS and former National Director of the Fund for Animals, has been quoted by the Associated Press as saying, “If we could shut down all sport hunting in a moment, we would.”

“Sportsmen are encouraged to tell PETsMart and other businesses that support animal rights groups that they are supporting an agenda that is working to end our outdoor heritage and our traditional way of life,” said U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance President Bud Pidgeon. “When you support an organization, you support everything it stands for, not just the parts that you think are good.”

Recently, sportsmen worked to inform Accor Economy Lodging of this fact. They sent scores of comments to the company explaining how its promotion of HSUS, under the auspices that it was helping protect animals, was merely an endorsement for an organization that is dedicated to ending America’s outdoor heritage and other animal uses. Accor has since ended its relationship with HSUS.

Sportsmen and sportswomen should express their dissatisfaction with PETsMART Charities’ support of HSUS by contacting Philip Francis, President & CEO, PETsMART, Inc., 19601 N. 27th Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85027; Phone: 800-738-1385. You can also send comments online from the following web address: http://www.petsmart.com/servlet/Mailer.

expatriate's picture
$15000.00 grant to HSUS

We can turn this one around on them as well:

Do you want to put an end to animal testing?

Yes, I do.

Then you believe in denying our country the necessary tools to develop vaccines, drugs, antidotes, and treatments against chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear weapons. Therefore, by supporting animal rights groups you support terror.

$15000.00 grant to HSUS

It will not work, they don't care. I give you the example of the man who wanted to give his 10 year old son's Kidney to a baboon in a zoo who had its kidneys fail and was dieing, what prevented it was they could not find a surgeon to do the operation. They are wacked out people.

expatriate's picture
$15000.00 grant to HSUS

You know, the more I look at this, the more I think this may be much ado about nothing.

We're only talking $15k here. While that may be a lot to you and me, it's not a lot in terms of stated intent to fund spay and neuter clinics and pet care sessions in four states. $15k might fund a single minimum-wage employee for a year. I doubt $15k would even pay the annual electric bill for more than a couple clinics. It certainly won't open any clinics anywhere, nor is it any kind of a sacrifice for an operation as large as PETsMART.

PETsMART, like any other enterprise worth its salt, realizes that getting your name mentioned favorably in the press is functionally no different (and usually far cheaper and more effective) than putting it on a billboard or newspaper ad. Of course, they're counting on the American public's misguided perception that equates Humane Society with poor, abandoned pets cast aside by their thoughtless owners -- the kind of people PETsMART's customers despise. Heck, that's why PETsMART exists in the first place: to allow pet lovers to indulge their emotional attachment through cash expenditures.

This is an ad campaign, not an attempt to do anything substantial for HSUS. The way to stop it is to make it backfire by making sure the unfavorable mentions of the $15k outweigh the favorable ones. That's why Accor backed out of HSUS -- because sportsmen got enough negative mentions into the press to outweigh the positive ones. These companies could care less about the organizations they're supporting -- it's all about the bottom dollar for themselves.

[ This Message was edited by: expatriate on 2003-01-10 21:38 ]

bitmasher's picture
$15000.00 grant to HSUS

Quote:

“When you support an organization, you support everything it stands for, not just the parts that you think are good.”

I'm not sure that I agree with that statement and this seems to be the premise for blasting Petsmart. A good example would be the Republican party, I support them, but I don't support all parts of what they do or certain areas of the party agenda.

Petsmart business is pets and pet owners. Spaying and neuturing is a legitmate concern for pet owners to prevent stray/unwanted animals. I'm not going blast Petsmart for wanting to lower the amount of stray animals, even if the donation was to HSUS. Granted, direct donations to local animal shelters would have been a better way to achieve the goal and probably would have generated more localized publicity for Petsmart.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
HSUS and Internet Huntingbitmasher709/19/2007 22:01 pm
Foxsports & hsus join together to stop fishing & hunharryjoe801/19/2007 08:33 am
HSUS Supports Sunday Hunting Bansbitmasher011/17/2003 21:44 pm
HSUSCVC105/18/2009 21:15 pm
The Antler ManCa_Vermonster101/04/2013 16:51 pm