14 replies [Last post]
150 gr BST 7mm WM for deer & elk?

okay-Excellent- I have some bids going on with ebay on RCBS presses.
Lost a bid yesterday for a couple 7mm wm dies that I bid almost 9.00 for.
I think ebay is the way to go , we'll see. But I think the bullet I'd like to shoot this year is the 160 Nosler partition. Just seems to have the versatility I want for a one bullet does all. Last year, with the 270WSM I used 130 gr. bst's on deer and 140 gr. failsafes on elk. That made thing complicated. This year I want one bullet for both. This way I can dial in my gun and myself-and get real good.
I also bid on a weatherby reloading manual

30-338
Any input to the topic of reloading is welcomed in the reloading forum.
You and jigman can take up all the time you need. It's all about helping out the next person.
Setting up links to refer to can also be of assistance.
Fuzzybear.

I see that it has been moved to reloading.
Take all the time you need.

Ah! The post has moved..cool! I was wondering about continuing to write in that post..we were going outside of / changing the scope of that post. Thanks for allowing me to ramble on in here. I agree, we may as well continue posting, maybe the info will be usefull to others or other members may have some input to add.

Jigman
You want to jump right into reloading which is neat. But i got to recommend you do one very first thing...Cancel all the ebay bids. Including the weatherby reloading manual. You have to get to know some basics first, then you'll have a better idea of what you'll need and what to look for in those items.

The main point here is you're putting a controlled explosive device beside your head. You want everything to be done right and not rush. If you're not methodical and carefull, it's really easy to make a serious mistake and get hurt or do some damage. If you reload with equipment that isn't a good quality or maybe a little worn out, you won't be getting the full benefit of tuning your round. I'm sure you already know this but i wanted to mention it anyways.

You want to shoot Nosler 160Gr partition or "CT" partiton bullets..sounds good! I would recomend you go to your gun store and buy the Nosler reloading guide fifth edition. Don't bother with older editions you always want to stay current. As new editions come out for the bullet manufacturer you like to use, buy them..sometimes there are changes you need to know.

After you get the Nosler Reloading Guide, read the the first 70 or so pages. This part goes all through making cartridges and the basic theory behind reloading. When you see the equipment they're using, you can decide on want you want to get. Reloading seems to be one of these hobbies where there is no shortage of equipment to buy. But there is a basic list of equipment you'll need to do some "effective" reloading.

This is where reading the manual comes in. You can get a good idea of what's involved and the basic equipment you'll need. From there you can determine if you want to push ahead with the time consuming hobby it is and the initial expense of the equipment you'll need. If you decide it's not for you then all you've spent is the 20 or so dollars for the manual, (no loss it will still have interesting facts about bullets and cartridges etc.). Which is better then spending a few hundred and then deciding reloading's not for you.

So go out and get that reloading guide, have a read, then we'll go from there..Sound good?

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Deer CallsHunter John509/19/2007 12:04 pm
15 DEAD DEER BY UNKNOWN PREDATORSeth2212/20/2012 19:06 pm
O.K. now what????alan511/23/2006 20:30 pm
Shotplacement at elk (red deer)?Kirrmeister503/14/2011 14:50 pm
MASSIVE DEER KILLING BY UNKNOWN PREDATORSeth703/17/2005 17:11 pm