8 replies [Last post]
Don Fischer's picture
140's that work

Found that the 140gr Sierra MK work great in the rifle. They are so far off the lands, they stop for coffee on the way but for some reason seem to shoot really well. Have several 5 shot group's so far under 1/2"! And, I'm just getting started, probally just got lucky out of the gate! If the weather holds today I'm gonna go try them at 400.

Oh, built a new portable bench two. Not quite as sturdy as the one I'm useing but much more portable. Built some like it years ago but re-did this one with much heavier legs and a bit bigger table. Post a photo later.

140's that work

How far off the lands are we talking ,Young Man ? I've been seating my 150 grainers .062 off the lands since thirty years.
The bullets are stopping for coffee I understand, might be a good time to consider increasing the powder charge

Good Shooting Thumbs up

Don Fischer's picture
140's that work

Hammer,

Got a new Sierra manual and found out I'm 3 grs below max by thier figures. Going up today and see what happen's. Guessing that long bullet has a fairly short bearing surface that is somehow lowering pressure. Have noticed that pressure is awful mild in what I'm shooting. Been getting just under 2800fps but Sierra say's I should get closer the 2950 fps, we'll see.

Measured the jump just a bit ago and I'm jumping .050", not as bad as I was thinking but the bullet is seated out quite aways, less than 1 calibre into the neck. Don't really care so long as it's shooting well. Two 5 shot group's yesterday at 400 yds right around 3" and I think it'll do better as I improve.

So far the new Nikon 4.5-14 scope is doing well but when I find the time I'm gonna see about new cross wires. It has that bullet drop compensator reticule in it and the wire's are to thick and those phony circles an anoyance. Will that to Nikon later about a set of fine wire cross wires, or at least duplex with fine wire in the center. Using CG's method of figuring click's I got I had to go up 18 click's to be 1/4" low at 400. Don't think I could say one way or another as it appeared to be right on at 400! That was a great bit of information he gave me.

A guy here in town used to shoot hp match in the army and he came out a couple days ago and said he figured I have 1000 yds min where I'm at, lot more by going up the hill. &00 will be about it for me tho as that's what the sporting rifle match stuff is max at.

I've never turned a rifle over to strictly a paper shooter befor and it's really different, lot to learn. Had to revamp the target's too. Have four sheet's of 8 1/2 x 11 paper taped together and a 6" black circle on it for an aiming point. Look's huge until you put it out way down range but 14x really brings it in good.

Next time the wind picks up a bit, I'm gonna take the spotting scope out and start trying to learn to read the wind better. Found a good article on it from the Civilan Marksmanship Program site.

One thing is coming clear to me is that confining shot's at game to max point blank range is an even better idea than I've always though. I look at the target thru the scope at 400 yds and wonder how anyone could guess how much to hold over. What does 18" look like at that range thru a 9x scope even? I couldn,t tell you! Then the bullet drop from 400 to 500 yds is more than double the drop from 0 to 400 yds; 18" vrs 39" . Drop's 13" between 400 and 500 yds.

140's that work

I got the Bullet drop compensator and the range finder on my Bushnell, but never really used it.
I figured it this way. The distance between the top of the shoulders and the base of the antlers on a nice whitetail buck is twelve inches. The deer is 18 inches thick
The buck will pose for the shot too, just get ready to shoot, give a whistle, he'll hear that in a couple of seconds depending on distance, and stand motionless long enough for the shot.
A good Rangefinder is on my "must have list" before the fall

And you're having a lot of fun! Good Man
Thumbs up

Don Fischer's picture
140's that work

Well I finally got a break in the weather and got some ammo loaded up to 1/2gr under Sierra's max load. Shot well at 100 yds so came home and loaded up ten more. Then wait on weather again and went out today to sight in at 200 yds. That low group is the first two shot's thru a clean barrel, yes that's two! The above and right group is three more shot's after the fouling shot's, yea, that really is three shot's at 200yds. Think I'll retire now! Yes

140's that work

Yes WHEN YOU"RE HOT, YOU'RE HOT Yes
Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up

140's that work

Looks like you got her dialed in real nice. Any pressure signs now that you are approaching the red zone?

Don Fischer's picture
140's that work

Not a pressure sign one. Primer's all well rounded, zero case head expansion and no streaching. I suppose I could go up more but what's the point?

140's that work

Well Don, I think you got it. That's some mighty fine shootin'.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
140's Class 9 pointTaxidermy_Woman23411/18/2005 22:06 pm
Texas deer huntsbrett2413009/11/2006 12:53 pm
Two big Indiana 11 pointers in one morning!metmamorahunter411/22/2009 17:51 pm
We are in Trouble!cowgal305/22/2009 20:26 pm
finally got workdustin ray507/27/2011 21:56 pm