20 replies [Last post]
Re: 125 gr 30 06 round for deer
Veloxlock wrote:
Many people use 150 and even 180 grain rounds for deer, but I am wondering about using 125 grain rounds. I know it is all about shot placement and that it will work, but I am wondering if the lighter round, travelling faster will expand more and cause more damage internally.

Please give me any thoughts you have as I am very interested in the differences in terminal ballistics of the different weight rounds.

It's good to hear you're thinking "outside the box". I hear caliber/ballistic debates all the time, and few hold much water, and most push the issue of overkill. You have it right with shot placement, first and foremost. And don't forget, we're talking deer, not bull elk. The comment suggesting a smaller caliber gun may be in order, but with .30-06, I'd say load some Barnes Triple-Shock X if they're available in 125 gr. With the velocities generated from the .06, you'll probably disembowel your deer. Naysayers never get it done. I say go for it.

AZThunder

125 gr 30 06 round for deer

* Shot Placement
* Bullet Construction / Weight Matched to Game
* Choice of Caliber

Update for Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullets

Veloxlock,

I just checked on the BarnesBullet.com's website, and it appears the Triple Shock X's are not available in any configuration of .30-06?? Amazing! I still however, support you and your endeavor, so find another manufacturer that offers you a reliable 125 gr. bullet. Good luck.

AZThunder

A 125 grain 30-06 bullet is not a big game bullet. If you shoot a mulie or any deer with it and it doesn't inflict an immediately fatal wound, you have a wounded animal on your hands, which could have been prevented easily. 125 grain .30 cal. bullets are meant for smaller game like coyote, bobcat, stuff like that.

An adult mule deer is typically a bit larger than the average adult whitetail deer. A 150 grain bullet would be the minimum useful bullet choice. Personally, I would most likely go to a 165 grain bullet, just for that extra margin of penetration. Don't take chances with your animal. Use a bullet that will do the job right.

Captain_Obvious wrote:
A 125 grain 30-06 bullet is not a big game bullet.... 125 grain .30 cal. bullets are meant for smaller game like coyote, bobcat, stuff like that.... A 150 grain bullet would be the minimum useful bullet choice.... Don't take chances with your animal. Use a bullet that will do the job right.

Aside from being purely "personal opinions", where are these rules written?

I shot and killed a 200 lb. muley buck with my .243 using a 100 gr. softpoint in 2002. I double-lunged and centerpunched the heart. So then, ...how dead is dead? Was I bad for not using an .06 for my deer? Certainly not, a .243 is a highly developed and proven medium game rifle, and not at all limited to varmints such as coyote as you suggest. I've seen a coyote shot in the shoulder by a 7MM Mag pushing 220 gr of bullet. It cart-wheeled him, and he got up only to run off. Your "use a bullet that will do the job" holds no water in this scenario. It boils down to shot placement, pure and simple.

I do not agree that because the rifle discussed is a .30-06, and generally used for "big game", it must use a large gr. bullet to effectively kill a deer. Nonsense. Many young hunters today need to get beyond the "bigger is better" mentality, and also come to realize, there is such a thing as overkill. A .30-06 shooting 125 gr. is inarguably well suited for killing deer. Except of course, in this debate. I've offered my $.02, and will now bid this topic a fond farewell.

Good luck on the 125 gr. reloads Veloxlock, and by all means, let us know how well they worked! Wink

AZThunder

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:11 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain Obviuos-

A 125 grain 30-06 bullet is not a big game bullet. If you shoot a mulie or any deer with it and it doesn't inflict an immediately fatal wound, you have a wounded animal on your hands, which could have been prevented easily. 125 grain .30 cal. bullets are meant for smaller game like coyote, bobcat, stuff like that.

An adult mule deer is typically a bit larger than the average adult whitetail deer. A 150 grain bullet would be the minimum useful bullet choice. Personally, I would most likely go to a 165 grain bullet, just for that extra margin of penetration. Don't take chances with your animal. Use a bullet that will do the job right

I disagree Captain Obvious. I think a 125gr 30-06 is suitable for at least whitetail. Plenty of deer has been taken with a .243 which is much smaller than a 30-06. The bullet may not perform well, but I believe it will drop a deer in its tracks with the ever so popular correct shot placement. As long as some vitals are hit. Now the only thing I would worry about is tracking a wounded deer. Because if a deer is hit poorly there will be tracking invloved. I do agree that 150 gr should be minimal but if the shooter is comfortable with 125 gr and know that he could successfully kill a geer humanely then go for it. DONT FORGET THAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A 30-06. ANYTHNG THROWN OUT OF ONE OF THOSE IS TROUBLE.

A 100 grain .243 cal. bullet functions differently from a 125 grain .30 cal. bullet. Just like a 150 grain bullet fired from a .277 cal. rifle differs from a 150 grain bullet from a .30 ca. rifle. A 100 grain bullet from a 243 gives you controlled expansion so you get more penetration. A 125 grain bullet from a 30-06 is intended to expand upon hitting the target. Comparing the two is simply a matter of comparing apples to oranges.

Bigger is better has nothing to do with it. Matching the bullet to the game has everything to do with it.

I agree with the Captain:

For any given caliber, you need to match the bullet to the game! A 100-gr. bullet in a .243 Win performs totally different than a slightly larger 125-gr. 30 caliber bullet.

When selecting a bullet, you need some length to it for adequate penetration because short fat bullets don't have the mass or momentem to keep going once the front portion has expanded.

A 125-gr. 30-06 bullet would act similar to a hollow point and not penetrate a whole lot in MOST situations. When selecting a bullet, you want it to perform adequately in 90% of the shot situations - i.e. various angles and through bone or no bone. Short fat bullets generally don't do very well through bones.

In other words, a 100-gr. 243 diameter bullet is heavy for that caliber and is probably 50% longer than a short fat 125-gr. 30-06 bullet that's very light for caliber.

For this reason, many hunters prefer bullets with Sectional Densities (SD's) of 250 or more to ensure adequate penetration.

Yeah, it's not simply a black-and-white matter of heavy bullets versus light bullets. It is a matter of heavy-for-caliber bullets versus light-for-caliber bullets.

thanks for all the input.

I asked mostly to learn more about these light bullets and how they might perform. I think what I will end up using are 165 gr bullets so I will have the option of shooting elk as well.

I learned a lot from this, thanks again.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
7.62 nato 147 grain round VS federal .308 180 grainyankeehunter308806/14/2012 10:24 am
7 mm ultra maggary brezinski1912/02/2008 03:28 am
270 or 308???zenergy912/24/2006 17:11 pm
.257 Weatherby Mag.Gamegetter701/04/2004 16:27 pm
The never heard about .308AlphaMan901/15/2007 19:22 pm