18 replies [Last post]
Is 11.9 Acres enough for deer hunting ? option to buy ....

I have an option to buy an 11-12 acre property not far from me....well no further than the public land i've been hunting on.

its a almost 50/50 field and timber...slightly more timber... flat. surrounded by more heavy timber and fields....private on most sides with a wooded park (no hunting allowed) not too far to the south, acorss a road, connected by more private property timber

its about 840 feet wide and 600 long....more or less...one side is angled so one side is slightly longer than the other....no big deal....you get the idea.

all I've had so far is public land...and I'm getting kind of sick of the crowds (dove season opener was ridiculous)

i really cant afford much larger than this property...so thats out of the question.

i'm sure its enough for the smaller game hunting, so not too worried about that.....plant some sun flowers and go....

if i feel the price is decent.....would this property be enough to bow hunt? gun hunt?

i'd plan to plant apple trees...sort of orchard style on the field part.

please share your thoughts!

you guys know more than me

If you plant some food plots in the open areas and create sancuary / bedding areas, it could be a good possibility.

redrider's picture

You say there is a wooded park close by. Is the property close to a highly populated area(city or town)?

You need to check local regs to see what type of firearm is allowed in that section. As for wheather you should get it. Do it. If you can afford to take it on, than go for it. Land will always be a dependable investment. At some point in the future you can sell, and reinvest that money into a larger tract. Would be nice to have your own land to go camping on too, right? Thumbs up

thanks for the replies guys

I've attached a picture of the property as viewed from above.

the property is boxed on the right....

the park is boxed to the south.

theres a small town near by,...but its about a population of 200 people.....

so thats about how close it is to everything else.....nothing else near by for a few miles.

property has an old broken down house on it.....essentially has no value though.

property is out of city limits.

the south border of the property is a pretty steep slope down to the street to the south.

It would be nice.....be better to be able to afford a full 40 acres so i can be a "landowner" for permit purposes.

anyways....share more if you have anything.

PreviewAttachmentSize
property1.JPG
property1.JPG127.07 KB
redrider's picture

Definitely looks and sounds like the immediate area would hold deer, so you should be able to set it up to attract and hold deer. Like jfrench stated the property will be a good investment.

Don Fischer's picture

I have just over 10 ac. and could easly set up blinds to bow hunt. But being in the urban growth boundry, couldn't shoot a gun here. If you get it, plant a garden on it nrxt year near the trees, escape route. Then you'll attract them for sure. Alfalfa plot would work real well.

ive got 10 that i hunt in northern mi.see deer all the time,one day i saw 7 different bucks.you have to see it as a feeding/travel area,rather than property that will hold deer all the time.plant some smaller broken up clover and crap they will come.

thanks for all the replies guys.

I am going to go look at it in person this afternoon after work........so should be cool.

I'm pretty intrigued by the abandoned house thats on the property....but thats a side point.

assuming i like what i see, i may pull the trigger on it.

financing shouldn't be too bad hopefully

thanks again guys

went to look at the property in person....

its definately big enough!

the field looks great, though overgrown

lots of promise....

think i'm gonna make an offer...gotta talk to bank first though.

wish me luck!

redrider's picture

I thought for sure you would already be hanging stands and planting apple trees Big smile

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Multiple tagsNight Raider306/17/2007 22:33 pm
Minnesota Deer HuntersTPNA011/14/2007 05:53 am
Early Wyoming Mule Deerislandlaker002/23/2014 08:45 am
PRIME ILLINIOIS WHITETAIL DEER HUNTING!!Trent Farms011/07/2006 16:28 pm
looking for hunting lease in kansas,rainbowchaser002/26/2009 10:21 am