6 replies [Last post]
115 Gr Barnes TSX

I'm considering using my 25-06 loaded with 115 grain Barnes TSX for an Elk hunt. Do any of you have any experience with magnum powders you can share with me? Thanks.

WesternHunter's picture
115 Gr Barnes TSX

Magnum powders? No such thing. What you're going to want is a "slower burning" powder. For your .25-06 it would be best to consult a current reloading manual for recommended slower burning powders and primer combination for that case and bore size. Start there, then you can fine tune it and play around with it to get what you want it to do for ya. Be careful what you ask for in reloading, because some reloaders tend to push the limits or come up with their own recipies. In that case what works in one persons gun might be unsafe in yours. Use caution when soliciting information for reload data. It really is best to start from the data given in a good current reloading manual or from the data given on websites from powder makers, bullet makers, or other component makers. I've hear that you already reload, and like any competent reloader I'm sure you have at least one good reloading data manual laying around. This might not be the answer you wanted or was expecting, but I hope it helps steer you in the right direction. I hope I'm not preaching to the choir or anything. Good luck.

115 Gr Barnes TSX

WeternHunter, thanks for the info. I haven't reloaded in about 9 years and heard that there were some type's of magnum/hybrid powders available that would increase velocity. I think I'll stick with my old manuals and work the loads up the old fashion way.

115 Gr Barnes TSX

Like mentioned the "magnum" powders are just slow burning powders and since most 25-06 barrels are not that long, these powders will not show their full potential. Check out hodgdon's reloading center. It has great recipes for all loads.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
115 Gr Barnes TSX

AFHunter I would suggest buying a Barnes reloading book the copper bullets seem to have different pressures than other bullets. I was also going to suggest the Hornady SST Interlock, its not a totally bonded bullet but I like them alot. It has a B.C. .390 and pushing just over 3100 fps and they are not as expensive.

115 Gr Barnes TSX

Actually there is a powder called "Magnum". I forget the manufacturer, but it's listed on the Barnes site as giving the fastest velocity in a couple bullet waits for the .264.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
115 Gr Barnes TSX

You can go to the Barnes web site and pull up loading information for what ever caliber that you are shooting. Here is what they have on the 25-06

http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/25-06RemingtonWeb.pdf

While I personally believe that the 25 calibers are marginal for elk if you are good enough it should do the trick with the TSX bullet

Jim

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
BARNES 285 TSXPapaSzakal2308/10/2013 23:12 pm
Has anyone tried Barnes ML bulletsAlphaMan012/01/2005 17:52 pm
ProGrade Ammo?COgunmoney003/28/2014 10:03 am
Barnes Triple-Shock X-Bullets in .22-250Bluegunner603/18/2006 09:34 am
Barnes BulletsAlphaMan501/19/2006 13:53 pm