12 replies [Last post]
jaybe's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
1,039 yards!

I was just watching Long Range Hunting and saw a guy drop and elk at 1,039 yards! He had a very sophisticated-looking scope and they used a very sophisticated-looking rangefinder, but he took the shot from the prone position off a bipod and he dropped it in its tracks. Of course it took him two shots to hit it - pretty shabby, eh? Big smile

Sorry - I didn't catch the caliber he was using.

hunter25's picture
I have seen some of these

I have seen some of these videos and I know there are guys that can shoot that far with pretty good accuracy but for me that is just too much. There a re too many variables at that distance for me. the wind for one and possible movement of the game before the bullet arrives on target among others. Again this is just for me and I am not criticizing those who are willing to try it. My personal limit would be about 500 yards and that also is with a bipod and and a perfectly ranged animal.

I have not done it yet at 500 but I have taken several antelope out to about 450 yards. You better know your ballistics and wind drift really well to be shooting that far.

ndemiter's picture
my farthest antelope kill was

my farthest antelope kill was 540 yds.

i will admit, there was probably a fair amount of luck involoved.

i hit it cleanly in the lungs with a 150 gr hornady interlok from my 30-06.

quite a fun story. i was hunting in wyoming (casper, where i lived at the time) as the antelope i shot moved over the hill, i followed and it was dying in front of a ground blind (i has hunting public land)

i spoke with the couple that was hunting in the blind, an elderly man and his wife from new-martinsville west virginia. just 15 minutes from the place where i grew up. what a pleasant surprise. the couple was very nice, even met my wife as she came to greet me after work.

i kind of miss antelope hunting.

GooseHunter Jr's picture
I have also seen some of

I have also seen some of those shows.  While I think it is pretty cool that they can make a great shot like that I always think that I like to get as close as possible.  I like to be in the animals front room when I make a shot.  Alot of the shows I have seen shooting far distances they could have gotten closer they just wanted to make an attemoy for a long shot and for the shows purposes.  Much rather give the animal a far chance...just me.

numbnutz's picture
For me and its only my opion,

For me and its only my opion, That is great shooting and thats it, i really dont think of it as hunting. good for them to know there rifle and set up enough to pull it off. i would rather put a stalk of a liftime on an animal than shoot it at 1000 myrds. to each there own i guess.

HOGGETTER's picture
Sounds like Long range

Sounds like Long range persuit TV show.

They use a 7mm rem mag with 168gr Berger VLD bullets.

Good Observation! From Tim at The Best of the West

Hoggetter,  Very good observation.  Yes it is the 7mm with the 168 Berger.  My name is Tim and I am one of the pro staff guys at "The Best of the West" out of Cody, Wy.  I could not help noticing that big Hog you took.  I am traveling to SD area to meet dealers in southern cal and thought I would bring my rifle and Huskemaw optics down your way if we could find some long range shooting at one of those hogs.  It may make for some good footage for the show. We are trying different calibers including the 6.5 x 284 norma and the one I carry the 300RUM.  That round has a 210 grain Berger that is almost the exact same BC as the 168 in 7mm but packs a bigger punch.  We are curious what it will do on a big porker.  You can reach me at either tim@thebestofthewest.net or at (541) 788-2800.    Thanks,   Tim Rose   The Best of the West

Don Fischer's picture
I am opposed to this thing

I am opposed to this thing they advertize as "long range hunting". It is not hunting but meerly shooting. That they could deliver a kill shot at that range could be demonstrated on paper and no chance of a wounded animal if the shooter mess's up a bit. I can only justify shooting at live animals at those ranges when the target is an enemy combatant. Big game is not an enemy combatant!

Tndeerhunter's picture
Agree

Don Fischer wrote:

I am opposed to this thing they advertize as "long range hunting". It is not hunting but meerly shooting. That they could deliver a kill shot at that range could be demonstrated on paper and no chance of a wounded animal if the shooter mess's up a bit. I can only justify shooting at live animals at those ranges when the target is an enemy combatant. Big game is not an enemy combatant!

I agree with that 100%. Hunting is hunting; shooting is shooting. They are simply not hunters IMHO.

possum's picture
I won't condemn this but i

I won't condemn this but i won't condone it. It's not hunting persay ...stalking game.

Where i live those shots would'nt happen because of the thick timber , i would be ashamed if i could'nt get to within 200 yds of an elk here...Just my opinion

Having shot 1000y in

Having shot 1000y in competition, I can't say that I would want to shoot game animals at that distance. Maybe a coyote though.

It takes the average bullet 1.5 to 2 seconds to travel 1000y. That's just enough time for the target to move. Also, at that distance any errors you make are magnified by 10. A flinch that puts in the 9 ring at 100y will put you clean of the target at 1k.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
.22 Magnum for Coyote ?jrhunter25210/31/2013 10:23 am
How much does the atmosphere magnify an object at distance?NMBlackGold505/15/2011 21:19 pm
He got 'er doneCOMeatHunter1611/24/2013 08:44 am
Dad's bearhunterash911/18/2006 17:09 pm
Distance Your Sight Your Rifle For?147 Grain1808/10/2005 22:39 pm