7 replies [Last post]
10 Pref. points for Col. in 2005 - Best units to apply

Hi,
I am planning a hunt in 2005 and will have 10 preference points by then.
Wondering the best units to hunt in. We are a party of 5 and are looking for outfitters in areas that would be good to hunt. Preferably a horse back hunt.I searched the internet on Google and it looks like the best areas of the state need 13-15 points.
Is 10 even worth the expense of going with an outfitter and what are the chances of us taking some big bulls? Would it be better to wait a few more years? We are all looking at going during the rifle season.

Any info. would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Brett

check out Coffeepot High Country Outfitters, Inc. in unit 66. They also operate Timberline Outfitters & guide Service. Quite a few big bulls and a complete wilderness hunt. points needed very from 7 for a black powder hunt to 2-3 for a rifle hunt. timberlineoutfitters.net and coffeepotoutfitters.com

cowgal's picture

Welcome to the forum Brett! If you haven't done so already I would check out the DOW site and read all the info you can find on hunting in Colorado.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/BigGame/

In particular you may want to review the reports for the different units. The reports are great info, since they tell you exactly how many people applied for various tags in specific units, and how many tags are issued plus how many points are required to draw out.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/BGHunting_Guides/index.asp

Its broken down by northwest & southwest regions, and you will need Adobe acrobat to view the files. I would recommend printing them out and really studying them before looking for outfitters in those specific units.

I live in northwest Colorado and can tell you that units 1, 201, 2, 10 and 40 are the best units for trophy sized bulls, but they're very hard to draw. However there are many other units in the same area that do not require pref points and have excellent elk as well. The above reports will show you which GMU units are considered the best for elk, deer or antelope.

And about guides, there are many in the area that offer horseback pack in hunts, again many are in areas that don't even require any pref points.

If at all possbile I would recommend coming out to Colorado and scouting the areas that interest you. Its also a great way to meet the outfitters and simply talk to the locals.

Good Luck!

bitmasher's picture

Your right 13-15 is around the top end for the most limited draw units (201). Cowcal already mentioned it but 201, 1, 2, 10 are considered to be among the best producers for trophy bulls according to draw stats and the DOW. Swollen Tongue is right too 66, 76, and possibly 61 are up there as well.

We discussed it some here awhile ago:

http://www.biggamehunt.net/node/10652

201 and 1 is where i would go personally, but that is just because i grew up around there.

This guy took his bull out of unit 1:

http://www.biggamehunt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4275

I have hunted units 12,231 and the area surrounding for about 10yrs now. Have never been with a guide, I usaully draw for a cow tag, and every year I see a bull. But the last two years I have drawn a either sex tag and I have got a big bull both years. Here is 2003s 6x6 and
This year I got a big 5x5.
My buddy also shot a big 5x5

here is a 6X7 bull taken in unit 66 2004, a rifle drop camp outfitted by Timberline Outfitters,dba Coffeepot High country Outfitters, Inc.

PreviewAttachmentSize
bull.jpg
bull.jpg18.96 KB
bull.jpg
bull.jpg18.96 KB

Thanks for the tips.

I looked at the DOW website on stats for 2003 and they show no bulls taken at all in units 1,2,10,201 during the rifle season. MUST BE A TYPO.

Or, are these areas for muzzleloading and/or arachery only(i saw there were some bulls killed during these seasons)

Thanks,
Brett

cowgal's picture

Northman, I just looked at my printed handbook and sure enough it shows zeros for all those prime units for bull elk during the rifle seasons. Must be a typo, because I know of bulls that were taken during 2003. Might want to drop the DOW a note and ask if they have accurate numbers for those units. What they printed/posted doesn't sound right. I'm wondering if they transposed the cow and bull numbers.

Those units all have rifle seasons, however they do have an archery and muzzleloader season before the rifle seasons start.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Pref Pointsmrklean402/02/2009 06:45 am
Pref pts and draw successAaron77505/25/2012 18:11 pm
Colorado first time antelope huntcolorado-rookie1403/02/2014 17:33 pm
Have 16 NR pref points in colorado...any sugestions?ccannon203/14/2011 09:21 am
Colorado 12 preference points??? Unit 21?hunt4duck1003/27/2009 22:40 pm