17 replies [Last post]
Offline
Location: Watkinsville,GA
Joined: 12/22/2006
Posts: 6
07 antelope

I am planning for next year and posted this on another page before I saw this one. I have never been pronghorn hunting, heck I have never been west of Alabama, but I am planning on a do it yourself bowhunt somewher outwest. Pronghorn seem to be the logical choice for a first time trip. I would love to go for elk but I worry about getting one out if I were lucky enough to harvest one and can't afford a guide, so I am open to any and all suggestions. I will have a hunting partner and plan on camping. I have heard about the BLM land and have received a list of landowners in Wyoming and Nebraska(one of the only over the counter archery pronghorn states), which has only made my decision harder. As I said any and all suggestions would be appreciated and please be specific as possible. Thanks in advance.

Offline
Moderator
Location: Kentucky/ Colorado
Joined: 06/23/2005
Posts: 1740
07 antelope

waterman, Welcome to BGH! If I were you, I would look at Wyoming as they have by far the largest population and the easiest to draw tags.

Here is their website and this is the first year they'll let you apply online......
http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/index.asp

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Offline
Location: Watkinsville,GA
Joined: 12/22/2006
Posts: 6
07 antelope

Thanks! I have already got a list of landowners and will be applying for Wyoming could you give some advice on which area to apply for? I have not read about the application system but I believe I will have to apply for a certain area. Please pm me if you don't want to post it. Don't worry with my bow i won't be hurting the population on any one stomping grounds, but I will consider it a successful trip if I see one and make it back home safe!!

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
07 antelope

I went on an antelope hunt to wyoming this past October. Used a rifle and hunted on public land near Saratoga.

You are correct that you have to select an area when you put in for the draw.

I don't think seeing antelope will be a problem. There are lots of them in WY.

I hunted area 52 south of spring creek. It had a lot of traffic, but the four of us were successful in harvesting a goat.

I will, most likely, put in to goat hunt again this year. Might try for a different area with a better opportunity for a trophy goat and might try it with the bow.

Offline
Location: Canada
Joined: 12/26/2006
Posts: 323
07 antelope

I have hunted around Gillette, Casper and Rawlins. Never had a problem drawing so far. I think I prefer the Rawlins area myself, I believe I saw more larger bucks in that area, but there was never a shortage of goats to look at in any of those areas.

Offline
Location: Watkinsville,GA
Joined: 12/22/2006
Posts: 6
07 antelope

Thanks guys that really helps! How about land access did you use guides, walk in, or call/write people on the list? The Rawlins area sounds like there may be less pressure, I have heard that it is hard to find a place to hunt in Gillette?

Offline
Moderator
Location: Kentucky/ Colorado
Joined: 06/23/2005
Posts: 1740
07 antelope

waterman, Rawlins has some great speed-goats but drawing a tag there is pretty tough. The odds were really low last year for a NR. Unit 60 had 3%, Unit 61 had 7% and 57 had 5% draw odds on the regular draw. Keep in mind that alot of folks have a preference point this year and they'll get first shot at 75% of the tags. If you apply without a PP you'll have a chance at 25% of the tags but your odds will be very low.

Check out the Access Yes, walk in program that WY has for the Gillette area or you might want to look at the grasslands south of Gillette, lots of public land there.

Offline
Location: Kansas
Joined: 01/12/2007
Posts: 33
07 antelope

I was looking into unit 55, just SW of Rawlins. Looks to be a good chunk of Walk in Hunting Land, and Public Hunting Access. And the draw rates seems to be better, when compared to the surrounding units at about 39% Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Thanks for the help!

redrider's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: NE Kansas
Joined: 03/20/2006
Posts: 2603
07 antelope

Kshunter - Welcome to BGH Big smile Nice to see another Kansan on board Thumbs up With your interest in Antelope are you from the Western Half of the state?
If you get a chance come on over to the Great Plains forum and say Hi and intro yourself to the other Kansans Big smile

Offline
Location: Kansas
Joined: 01/12/2007
Posts: 33
07 antelope

Thanks! Actually I'm currently living in Overland Park but am in the process of moving back to my hometown area in NC KS. But I try to travel west every year. Thumbs up

redrider's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: NE Kansas
Joined: 03/20/2006
Posts: 2603
07 antelope

You're pretty close then. I'm just North of Lawrence. Another newbie here just started a week ago, d3238, is from Lenexa. Good to have you guys around. Went quite awhile where it was just a couple of us from Kansas Big smile

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Texas antelope hunts / B&C trophy huntsSJ009/16/2006 17:01 pm
Antelope MeatCVC1611/11/2010 12:35 pm
Northwest Colorado Antelopecowgal110/05/2005 05:42 am
Antelope dimensionsCentennial606/24/2010 07:36 am
$1500 Texas antelope huntsSJ009/26/2006 12:18 pm