Deer May Have Contaminated Strawberries With E. Coli

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

In Northwest Oregon one woman has died, and six others were hospitalized after eating strawberries. Now after testing fields with deer droppings, it is believed that the deer are responsible for the e. coli contamination. Jacquith Strawberry Farm in Newberg is where the strawberries are believed to have come from, and there are soil and deer dropping samples that are being analyzed. If the deer are responsible they are wondering why this hasn't shown up in the strawberries before. From MyCentralOregon.com.

Comments

hunter25's picture

Thisn is a sad situation and

Thisn is a sad situation and the way I see it there are 2 possible ways this happened. One is the deer like mentioned and the other like was mentioned by the people picking the berries. I work in this product and know that berries are picked directly in the field into the containers and then cooled amd shipped directly out to the stores. There is no washing and cleaning or inspection of the product like many people think. Some companies have better practices on their grower but many do not. The other is the deer like was said and this has been proven to have happened before with apples many years ago. People died and it was traced back from the juice they drank to the actual field that was tested positive. the key was to never use product that had touched the ground, but of course there was less profit in that so the rules were ignored.

There are some berry growers that do test regular and if abnormal animal presence is detected they will plow the field under and start over. I have seen this done in California but not many are this thorough.

 

Ca_Vermonster's picture

See, even more ways that deer

See, even more ways that deer can kill us!!!!! 

Seriously though, sad for the family of the woman that died and the ones getting sick.  As it said, it's a wonder why it hasn't showed up before.  More than likely, and hopefully I don't get flamed for this, it's the people picking them, not being too sanitary.  Happens alot in the west coast agriculture industry.